Shaking while shooting. - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Shaking while shooting.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

Lol no trauma only fun with firearms. I will try the caffeine idea though. I am not trying to strangle anything and I can hit anything short range no problem as well as skeet. It is the long range I can't seem to get

Old 04-13-2012, 06:20 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 273 Times on 212 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Try 60/40 w weak hand - ensure clean release. firm but not to the point of shaking if that makes sense. W fixed sights, I was amazed how much my grip influenced point of impact.

Some times it's the simple things, when was the last time your vision was checked ? It may not be you...

Old 04-13-2012, 06:24 AM   #13

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

I am a total wacko, so I had to learn to weave to counter act the shake. Now I can hit the bullseye every time. Confidence plays an important part in steadiness. Start with closer targets for a while and at each shoot move the target out a few extra feet. Soon, you will be hitting them at 1000 feet with a deadly eye and a steady hold.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:36 AM   #14

Liked 50 Times on 34 Posts

It isn't gripping too tight I don't think. Are there ways to generally slow down the body for longer distances? I know I wont be perfect but anything is better than nothing.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #15

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus
It isn't gripping too tight I don't think. Are there ways to generally slow down the body for longer distances? I know I wont be perfect but anything is better than nothing.
Practice practice practice, is the best advice i can give. Learning the difference between pulling the trigger, and squeezing it is also important.

You'll get a lot of advice, both here and on your local range. Pay attention to what more experienced shooters tell you and, most importantly, practice as much as you can. As long as you're patient you'll find yourself improving a little at a time, just stick with it friend! you'll eventually get where you want to be

Old 04-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #16
I don't come with an "edit" option....
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 811 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 4279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
Just curios, what are you shooting? Rifles or pistols?

If you are shooting pistols, you may have some difficulty reaching out to 1000 feet.

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 04-13-2012, 08:17 AM   #17

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

"When I shoot bullseye pistol matches, for example, I breath twice between each shot. As the second breath is being let out, I raise the pistol and bring the sights into alignment. As soon as the breath is out, I perfect the sight alignment as I break the trigger. Then I inhale and lower the pistol. There is a similar pattern for most shooting that requires more accuracy than speed."

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110812164747AAPuiiI

Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 AM   #18
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7647 Times on 4595 Posts
Likes Given: 9567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hectocotylus View Post
So whenever I am shooting my hands shake a bit which makes it impossible for me to be very accurate. Am I the only one? I feel like I can't hold my hands perfectly steady even without a gun in them. This leads to jerking the trigger and other bad things. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?
Interesting thread. Thanks, Hectocotylus. I notice my hands shake, too, when I shoot handguns. I am older and my hands aren't as strong as they used to be and I attribute it to that. But I will try some of the ideas mentioned here in this thread. I often use a rest but I would like to be proficient with no rest at all.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2947 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

Movement or wobble while holding the gun has nothing to do with jerking the trigger. FIGHTING the movement has everything to do with jerking the trigger. The wobble is probably less an issue than you want to make it out to be. Relax, breathe, sight picture, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, trigger control, proper follow through. The shot will be pretty darn accurate when you let it happen. Forcing the shot will really screw up your accuracy.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM   #20
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1402 Times on 709 Posts
Likes Given: 1027

Why do I have an image of Barney Fife in my head?

Sorry Hecto, other then that observation I have nothing to add to the good advice already posted.