Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Shaking while shooting. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/shaking-while-shooting-62431/)

Hectocotylus 04-13-2012 04:22 AM

Shaking while shooting.

So whenever I am shooting my hands shake a bit which makes it impossible for me to be very accurate. Am I the only one? I feel like I can't hold my hands perfectly steady even without a gun in them. This leads to jerking the trigger and other bad things. Does anyone have a suggestion for me?

TheSadPanda 04-13-2012 04:49 AM

Can you give us a little more information about you, the firearm, and how you're shooting?
- What's your shooting experience with this gun/ in general?
- What type of gun are you shooting? handgun, rifle, revolver, semi, bolt....
- Are you standing up supporting the gun on your own, or on a rest of some sort?
- What was the weather like that day?

PlaysWithZombies 04-13-2012 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSadPanda
Can you give us a little more information about you, the firearm, and how you're shooting?
- What's your shooting experience with this gun/ in general?
- What type of gun are you shooting? handgun, rifle, revolver, semi, bolt....
- Are you standing up supporting the gun on your own, or on a rest of some sort?
- What was the weather like that day?

In addition to these things, your diet can actually play a part in your overall steadiness as well. If you consume a lot of sugars or fats, or not enough protein, that could also be the culprit

Hectocotylus 04-13-2012 05:38 AM

I shoot a .22 handgun mosins that kind of stuff. Every day I can't hit a 10 x 10 target at 100 yards 5 out of 10 times with a mosin. And yes I have tried other guns it is not an firearm accuracy issue. I have shot using a rest and that is better but I just can't understand people hitting anything past a hundred yards without a bench rest. Maybe I am weird or maybe it calla for more ammo...

Mason609 04-13-2012 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies (Post 769533)
In addition to these things, your diet can actually play a part in your overall steadiness as well. If you consume a lot of sugars or fats, or not enough protein, that could also be the culprit

Oddly enough, I shake if I don't have the right amount of caffine.

I know that it's not withdrawal, I can go months without it, but still shake when I shoot - unless I have a few cups of joe before hand.

Psychosomatic maybe? When I was first introduced to shooting, I drank coffee like 8-10 cups a day.

trip286 04-13-2012 05:45 AM

Diet, and grip. IMHO.
Pay attention to your diet, eat healthily, and remember, everything in moderation.
Grip. On a handgun, you WILL shake if your trying to strangle the gun, but I seem to doubt that's the case with a .22.
For me, shooting is therapeutic. It calms me. When I'm laying prone behind a rifle, still as a statue, and can see my heartbeat disturbing the sight picture, I know I'm in my zone.

PlaysWithZombies 04-13-2012 05:52 AM

I don't mean to sound like a psyche obsessed left winger, but do you have any traumatic experiences involving a firearm? Because that can play a huge role in your current interractions with guns, it is easily overcome under the correct circumstances though

Mason609 04-13-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies (Post 769577)
I don't mean to sound like a psyche obsessed left winger, but do you have any traumatic experiences involving a firearm? Because that can play a huge role in your current interractions with guns, it is easily overcome under the correct circumstances though

Was that directed to me? Or the OP?

PlaysWithZombies 04-13-2012 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mason609

Was that directed to me? Or the OP?

lol the op, you seem to have a handle on your own psyche

Mason609 04-13-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PlaysWithZombies (Post 769586)
lol the op, you seem to have a handle on your own psyche

Most of the time, anyway. :rolleyes: