Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Self-inflected GSW stats? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/self-inflected-gsw-stats-48390/)

Vincine 09-17-2011 11:35 AM

Self-inflected GSW stats?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kain (Post 581443)
Today it was a guy carrying Mexican his Glock 17 who accidentally shot himself in the right thigh.

Are there any stats correlating self-inflected GSWs with carry position and draws? How about various guns’ safeties?

BigByrd47119 09-17-2011 12:11 PM

Well, you might have heard of this one before but here it goes...

Glock Leg: A condition where a person shoots himself (or herself) in the leg while holstering their Glock pistol.
Urban Dictionary: Glock leg

There is a reason why no one suffers from "Ruger/Springfield/S&W or Kahr Leg." Well, ok, maybe there are people that do, but they never earned a name for it like the Glock has.

JonM 09-17-2011 01:24 PM

I remember in the 80s going to buy a centerfire of some sort i was new to handguns had no real opinion. Glocks had made a lot of stink with moronic politicians claiming they were undetectable in airports because thebarrels were ceramic along with the springs bullets etc. Either that or the media was portraying them as 100% plastic.

The local gunshop tried to sell me one but im glad i rented first. My response to him was "where is the safety?? Lots of people gonna shoot themselves with these stupid things..."

Anyway either 22lr or 38spl revolver will likely be highest sigsw rate just from the sheer numbers. But i would bet glock has the highest rate for foreign object other than finger in the trigger guard shootings.

robocop10mm 09-17-2011 02:09 PM

Here in the US, the CDC keeps more stats on such things than anyone else. They do not keep such stats. It would be nearly impossible to do so as every LE Agency, every doctor and hospital, every EMT and every medical examiner/coroner would have to work together to compile the data needed. That simply is not going to happen.

The CDC is only interested in how may "children" (25 yoa and under, since when is a 25 year old a child?) are killed by "firearms violence". Their stats include accidents, homicides, suicides and lawful self defense shootings by civilians or LEO's.

boomenshutzen 09-17-2011 02:53 PM

Well, I wasn't a fan of my Glock so that's why I sold it, but I feel a need to defend the safety mechanism, or lack thereof. As Jeff Cooper once said, "safety is something that happens between your ears, not something you hold in your hands." The lack of a safety isn't what led to "Glock Leg" it was poor handling of the weapon. The people that shot themselves didn't keep their trigger finger off the stinking trigger like their supposed to. Guns don't just go off...somebody has to pull the trigger whether on purpose or through negligence. I've seen plenty of videos on the internets of people shooting themselves in the leg or foot with 1911s.

As to the original question, I do not know if such information exists, but I think it would be interesting to see. I imagine robocop10mm is right though, it would be VERY difficult to compile such data.

therewolf 09-23-2011 07:25 PM

As a Glock hater for purely aesthetic reasons, I have to say I

was most unfavorably impressed by the FBI instructor who

shot himself in the foot in front of a class of young(meaning

under 25 YOA) children.

Only moments earlier, IIRC, he had appeared to have

unloaded the gun?

trip286 09-23-2011 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 585335)
As a Glock hater for purely aesthetic reasons, I have to say I

was most unfavorably impressed by the FBI instructor who

shot himself in the foot in front of a class of young(meaning

under 25 YOA) children.

Only moments earlier, IIRC, he had appeared to have

unloaded the gun?

Saw this video. Didn't he even make a comment about that type of thing is why safety is so important right after he did that?

ttolhurst 09-23-2011 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therewolf (Post 585335)
the FBI instructor who
shot himself in the foot in front of a class of young children.

He was a DEA agent, not FBI.

rjd3282 09-24-2011 02:08 AM

Jon wasn't talking about fingers on the trigger he was talking about foriegn objects on the trigger ie. the corner of a leather holster.

therewolf 09-24-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttolhurst (Post 585498)
He was a DEA agent, not FBI.

Oh, well, if he was a DEA agent, then that makes it

perfectly acceptable. Never mind.