Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Self-Defense Shooting is NOT Bullseye Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #31
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

I can't remember the last time I used my sights to practice combat shooting. It always seemed counterproductive to try to hit the same organ area more than once if I'm fighting for my life. Hit them all. Let the assailant's body decide when it's had enough.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #32

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Of course, you meant to add:

"Because my goal is to stop the threat, ONLY to stop the threat."

Old 06-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
Of course, you meant to add:

"Because my goal is to stop the threat, ONLY to stop the threat."

Yeah, I ran into a terminology thing. When most people thing of "body" they think of the not so dearly departed rapidly assuming room temperature. I think of a group of organ systems as in the human body. Either way, once he stops being the aggressor I stop trying to defend myself.

Old 06-26-2013, 07:55 PM   #34

No, seriously....

It is imperative that we always speak about "stopping the threat" ....

Unless you actually want a very LONG vacation in Club Fed.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
No, seriously....

It is imperative that we always speak about "stopping the threat" ....

Unless you actually want a very LONG vacation in Club Fed.
I was being serious. When the bad guy quits trying to hurt me, I will quit trying to stop him.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #36
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Possum!

I am with you on the RUN, RUN, RUN issue! That was in a time past for me! I now have adopted and believe in the Old Bull Young Bull Theory! I will be walking!
Some may not know what we are talking about!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

People Like This 
Old 06-26-2013, 09:04 PM   #37

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
You can have paper targets with different numbered circles, or different colors or shapes on the target. You can turn your back to the target and have a friend call out one specific aiming point that you have to turn and fire at. If you cannot draw from a holster at your range you could set the pistol on the table/counter and pick it up to fire.

As Jaeger stated, you could do some jumping jacks or run in place before he calls out the target. This will get the heart rate up. If your range has retractable targets you could have your shooting partner change the distance as well so you have to shoot at unknown distances. If you don't have a friend to shoot with you can make a deck of cards with the different aiming points on them. Shuffle them and draw one before turning and shooting.
Google printable targets and you can find all kinds of neat stuff to shoot at.
Here's a couple that I use. Downloadable pdf files so you will need adobe acrobat reader.

http://www.mytargets.com/

http://www.targetz.com/targets01.htm

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-26-2013, 10:01 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
No, your concepts did NOT cover it well.
Did somebody skip their meds today?

Old 06-27-2013, 02:36 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
I was being serious. When the bad guy quits trying to hurt me, I will quit trying to stop him.

Your honor, we will prove today that the accused had every intention of killing the victim in this case and we will demonstrate this intention by presenting evidence proving that he would routinely talk about killing and hurting people.

If you actually do not understand the point, I certainly hope you never are in a situation where you WILL be prosecute for manslaughter simply because you insisted on sounding like a typical gun forum tough-guy spewing out garbage comments.

Do yourself a favor, learn the critical importance of disciplining your mouth, before you put your finger on a trigger.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #40

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Just a reminder...

Defensive shooting - or 'combat shooting' in the mall ninja jargon - is advanced technique.

Aside: Acting in one's defense is a form of 'combat' in that adversaries are engaged in potentially lethal force. However, the term 'combat' commonly applies to participants in active warfare, where the goal is to damage as many of the enemy as possible while incurring the least amount of losses. In 'combat', one is actively seeking the enemy to damage them. 'Defensive shooting' is the action of defending one's self, when unlawfully attacked by an antagonist.

Since this discussion revolves around firearms, and mostly handguns, I will continue with that specific.

Before one can properly study the concept, techniques and subtleties of defensive shooting, one must gain proficiency in the operation of whatever weapon one uses in the defensive role. In other words, one must learn how to operate a handgun. How it functions, the manual of arms, clearing stoppages, and how to deliver rounds on a specific target. Much like one must first learn and be proficient in arithmetic prior to learning algebra or calculus.

Bullseye shooting is perhaps the finest method to learn the elemental knowledge of shooting a handgun. The basis of all handgun success is the ability to deliver rounds - 'hits' if preferred - on a specific target. Nothing teaches that like bullseye.

The late Jeff Cooper once opined any handgunner should be competent enough to put all shots into a six inch bullseye at twenty-five yards PRIOR to beginning 'defensive' shooting.

Yes, when under pressure, the ability to hold a group deteriorates. However, which shooter's group will be bigger under pressure: The one who can hold a two inch group at a given distance, or the one who can hold a ten inch group at the same distance? Who will have the greater confidence and be less likely to panic under aggression?

And just what is so 'un-tactical' about being able to deliver a shot within an inch of the desired point of impact?

Competence in any field is achieved by hard work, self-discipline and attention to detail. You're all big kids, make up your own minds.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

People Like This