Self-Defense Shooting is NOT Bullseye Shooting - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Self-Defense Shooting is NOT Bullseye Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I carry a firearm as an option of last resort. If I can run away from the fight, I will. That's not always an option, hence the firearm. In virtually any confrontation, with or without weapons, the party that's most physically fit generally fares better. Skill at arms is also important, but there will be situations where you can't even draw your pistol, let alone get off a well aimed shot at your assailant. In urban areas, where most of us now work and/or live, coming into close contact with other people is inevitable.

It might have been from teaching martial arts, but I think a crawl, walk, run approach to training is best.

You won't always have a knife or firearm on you, what then?

First, learn how to use your body.

Next, learn how to use improvised weapons.

After you have proficiency with your body and improvised weapons, then learn how to use knives and firearms.

Obviously not everyone will have the same level of skill or ability with their body or weapons, but basics first.

If you are incapable of throwing a punch or using a knife, having a firearm only provides protection when people can't get close enough to hit, grab, or stab you.

I've seen more integrated training in the past 10 years or so, which is as it should be.

Just as there are fundamentals with firearms, there are fundamentals for self defense. The most expensive pistol in the world with rounds that hit like Thor's hammer are all pretty useless if you don't have basic situational awareness and an understanding of potential threats and how to avoid or counter them.

I had several years of martial arts training, but the last formal training I had was over 15 years ago, and the best I ever was . . . was medicore. But we did intergrated before intergrated was kool. Basically a mix of JKD, eskrima, and kali. Besides kicks and punches we worked with weapons and grappling techniques. My instructor was Michael Goldberg in Fort Worth ( http://jkdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1848 ). Sometimes Tim Tackett would stop by and give us pointers in JKD.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1099 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 455

I got into Krav Maga some years ago, after trying a variety of others and going so far as teaching one myself. I liked the fact that you showed up in street clothes and practiced hitting real people without pads and such. To me, martial arts was never a merit badge or trophy pursuit, it was about surviving Mexican gang members.

Martial arts should be, although most of it is not, about what the average person can do when there are no weapons to be had and the worst has transpired. This is why lots of martial arts "training", if you could call it that, is relatively worthless for actual fights. Martial arts is not a good/better/best thing for real life, it's simple, effective, and works for you or it doesn't. That's your measuring stick.

Like Iron Mike said, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." If anyone is going to bother with reaching for their pistol while they're getting their bell rung, I think they're doing it wrong.

So, best advice is find some realistic training that doesn't involve complicated stuff that takes years of practice for proficiency.

After that's been done, then move on to knife and handgun training.

Spend more time and money on the knife and handgun training but don't neglect the unarmed training, especially ground fighting. You can survive a good whack or two, but having someone smash your face into the ground or use a weapon on you is less survivable.

As shooting goes, lots of people like to badmouth paintball and airsoft, but at least in those sports you're shooting at other people, moving targets that shoot back, and it hurts when you get hit. Apart from basic marksmanship skill, I'm not sure what punching holes in paper proves.

Old 06-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #23
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2738 Times on 1434 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Unfortunately, some have interpreted it to mean exactly that.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 06-25-2013, 12:37 PM   #24

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

On a gun forum, the tactical ninja/high-speed low-drag/basement bubba crowd are always spoiling for a stupid argument.

Like momma always said, "There's no fixin' stupid, son, just ignore 'em and move along."

Last edited by Amsdorf; 06-25-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 PM   #25

I'm a trained Ninja. Silent. Deadly. Invisible.

I need no weapon. My hands alone are the only deadly force I require.

rn-cindy Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

There is no way to be 100% prepared for the 'final option', those who are responsible do the best they can to be 'ready'. Get as much practice/training as you can afford (time and money wise). The MOST important factor in 'winning' is mind set, and this something which can't to 'thought' in the classroom (there is no substitute for actual experience, but few of us have had the misfortune to get this experience). You should be confident but not arrogant. I have found that many of my students develop this self confidence through training and practice.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-26-2013, 01:35 PM   #27

Correct, that's why I recommend everyone considering carrying a concealed weapon read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Principles-Personal-Defense-Jeff-Cooper/dp/1581604955/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372253767&sr=8-1&keywords=jeff+cooper

Old 06-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #28

Liked 320 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 354

In a defencive/combat mode I call it instinctive shooting,no aiming involved it does take practice as shooting from the hip does.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 191 Times on 128 Posts

I can't remember the last time I shot at paper with a pistol. Ever since I got a Action Target Evil Roy Steel target, I have only shot at the 12" plate. I figure if I can shoot consistently at a 12" steel plate, I can defend myself with good accuracy if I need to do so.

If guns kill people, mine are defective.

Old 06-26-2013, 03:23 PM   #30

Liked 24 Times on 16 Posts

I feel like I should put in my nickel (inflation). As stated there is no replacement for practice, as much as possible. Training is also necessary, what good is practice when you don't know what to practice.

Practice for your abilities, find instructors that can work with.any of your disabilities. I'm no expert, just a guy who served his country as a Marine.

I shoot often, at least weekly, and have some disabilities. A friend (missing a leg) and I try to help eachother since we have had different training in the military.