Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Self-Defense Shooting is NOT Bullseye Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Not to get too zen here, but once you learn to become one with the gun and target, it's not overly difficult to swith between different types of shooting or target.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 PM   #12

Liked 119 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Groovy, man, totally, groovy.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTX63 View Post
FYI, she's about 200lbs so it always put her in a state of exhaustion.
Are you trying to kill her?

Geesh.

towboater Likes This 
Old 06-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #14

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

How many civilians who survive shootings were combat trained? How many do you know of who were armed with a tricked out Kimbers? It is mostly "I fired the shotgun through the door" and??

Old 06-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #15

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc

You can have paper targets with different numbered circles, or different colors or shapes on the target. You can turn your back to the target and have a friend call out one specific aiming point that you have to turn and fire at. If you cannot draw from a holster at your range you could set the pistol on the table/counter and pick it up to fire.

As Jaeger stated, you could do some jumping jacks or run in place before he calls out the target. This will get the heart rate up. If your range has retractable targets you could have your shooting partner change the distance as well so you have to shoot at unknown distances. If you don't have a friend to shoot with you can make a deck of cards with the different aiming points on them. Shuffle them and draw one before turning and shooting.
Thanks for the ideas. Me and ZG will have to try that next when we gather enough ammo to go back to the range.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #16

Liked 158 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Great info! We are in AZ so have the benefit of desert shooting so we don't have a range master to tell us what we can or can't do.

Things we have done in the past after we built a stand up target holder for about 10.00:

He picks random time to tell me to draw and shoot.
Close eyes/turn around as he moves the target to a new place and comes back to tell me when to shoot
Close eyes for 30 seconds, open eyes, acquire target and shoot
Shoot a full mag, reload and rapidly shoot 2nd mag trying body shots and to heck with the bulls eye. We mark how many each of us get on target vs. who got a bullseye.

Lots of great suggestions here, I like the heart rate ideas because most of the time you aren't going to be chilling in a camp chair bs-ing while reloading etc. when you need to defend yourself. You are going to be woken up in the middle of the night, or be sitting at a stop light when a threat comes to you or your family.

I like the idea of setting up a "course" of colored jugs to move and shoot, safely of course. I am about 125 lbs but still might be winded if I had to run it for a while!

I like the competitiveness for hitting small targets at distance, its fun! Our kids love the 22 pistol and AR22 but we take them shooting and have them shoot the 9mm and AR15 too, and when they hit the man sized target and are disappointed they missed the bulls eye I tell them that the bad guy still has 17 holes in him so they did a great job!

Old 06-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 841 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 339

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Run? RUN? The REASON I CARRY a gun so so I WON'T have to RUN!
I carry a firearm as an option of last resort. If I can run away from the fight, I will. That's not always an option, hence the firearm. In virtually any confrontation, with or without weapons, the party that's most physically fit generally fares better. Skill at arms is also important, but there will be situations where you can't even draw your pistol, let alone get off a well aimed shot at your assailant. In urban areas, where most of us now work and/or live, coming into close contact with other people is inevitable.

It might have been from teaching martial arts, but I think a crawl, walk, run approach to training is best.

You won't always have a knife or firearm on you, what then?

First, learn how to use your body.

Next, learn how to use improvised weapons.

After you have proficiency with your body and improvised weapons, then learn how to use knives and firearms.

Obviously not everyone will have the same level of skill or ability with their body or weapons, but basics first.

If you are incapable of throwing a punch or using a knife, having a firearm only provides protection when people can't get close enough to hit, grab, or stab you.

I've seen more integrated training in the past 10 years or so, which is as it should be.

Just as there are fundamentals with firearms, there are fundamentals for self defense. The most expensive pistol in the world with rounds that hit like Thor's hammer are all pretty useless if you don't have basic situational awareness and an understanding of potential threats and how to avoid or counter them.
Old 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Center mass shooting is what it's all about. Bleed out, bleed out, bleed out!

Old 06-25-2013, 01:19 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2551 Times on 1339 Posts
Likes Given: 192

I hope you are not saying bullseye shooting is useless, or worse, counterproductive. Bullseye is shooting. Trigger time is trigger time. IPSC, IDPA, Bianchi Cup, PPC, IHMSA. Each have their own sets of rules which may or may not hamper a shooter in a "Combat" situation. Bullseye teaches concentration, sight alignment, sight picture, breath control, trigger control. All of which can be beneficial in a "combat suituation. You may not be able to take a minute to perform each action, but each action is used (albeit quickly) to accurately engage in a gunfight or self defense shooting.

I believe it was Wyatt Earp who said "fast is fine, but accurate is final".

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Sniper03 Likes This 
Old 06-25-2013, 03:06 AM   #20

Robo, of course, I'm not saying that.