You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Self defense practice range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3245 Times on 1916 Posts
Likes Given: 2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
Well, I've been called backwards before, but I was learned marksmanship and target shooting first, then later on worked on self defense and/or combat shooting.

I think that teaching someone to shoot at too close of a range does them a disservice, as they tend to develop bad shooting habits that might not make much difference at 7 yards, but would seriously effect accuracy at longer distances. This means they would essentially have to learn twice.

But, as stated, I'm prejudiced toward target shooting.
You have not had to 'teach' anyone who has no experience with a handgun before to defend themselves if you believe this. Many of those who come to me are people who want to learn to defend themselves and have no other interest in firearms. Some have been introduced to handguns by a well meaning friend or relative who has tried to 'teach' them 'marksmanship' and all they have done is seriously undermine their confidence to be able to shot well enough to defend themselves! I let them know my training is not to teach them to hit a bullseye at 25 yds but to be able to engage a target up close and quickly, nothing more. If they wish to learn marksmanship they can get this training latter. You would be pleasantly surprised at how many of these people, mostly women, pick up the ability to engage ACCURATELY a target out to about 7 yds (21 feet) in a very short time. One of the most important requirements necessary to face danger and survive is confidence. These students actually find they can engage an attacker and do so with confidence. I have never had a person, and I have trained hundreds, who did not have the eye and hand coordination to master point shooting. Most of those who have a problem with it are the more 'experienced' shooters who have never shot without using their sights. I teach them to use their weak hand to 'fend' off an attacker while the shoot with their strong hand. I consider this the 'basics' of self defense. Some have come back to me or others for further training. I do stress the need to practice as often as possible, a minimum of once every 3 months.
Everyone has to start somewhere and this is what I have found to be a good place for them to start when self defense is their goal.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1071 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1626

Quote:
Originally Posted by improvised_prepper View Post
Your friend was right, the standard range for SD is about 7 yards. Any further than that, people will wonder if you really needed to use deadly force.
In North Carolina they more than wonder why. Seven yards IIRC is considered the maximum "lunge" distance.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr1943 View Post
In North Carolina they more than wonder why. Seven yards IIRC is considered the maximum "lunge" distance.
It is referred to as the 'reactionary gap'! If you are surprised by an assailants attack at 21 ft or less you will not have time to draw and fire your weapon accurately/effectively.
There are several different methods taught to overcome this disadvantage so you must look at them and decided which of them will work best for you as an individual!
johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #24

Liked 1300 Times on 674 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
You have not had to 'teach' anyone who has no experience with a handgun before to defend themselves if you believe this. Many of those who come to me are people who want to learn to defend themselves and have no other interest in firearms. Some have been introduced to handguns by a well meaning friend or relative who has tried to 'teach' them 'marksmanship' and all they have done is seriously undermine their confidence to be able to shot well enough to defend themselves! I let them know my training is not to teach them to hit a bullseye at 25 yds but to be able to engage a target up close and quickly, nothing more. If they wish to learn marksmanship they can get this training latter. You would be pleasantly surprised at how many of these people, mostly women, pick up the ability to engage ACCURATELY a target out to about 7 yds (21 feet) in a very short time. One of the most important requirements necessary to face danger and survive is confidence. These students actually find they can engage an attacker and do so with confidence. I have never had a person, and I have trained hundreds, who did not have the eye and hand coordination to master point shooting. Most of those who have a problem with it are the more 'experienced' shooters who have never shot without using their sights. I teach them to use their weak hand to 'fend' off an attacker while the shoot with their strong hand. I consider this the 'basics' of self defense. Some have come back to me or others for further training. I do stress the need to practice as often as possible, a minimum of once every 3 months.
Everyone has to start somewhere and this is what I have found to be a good place for them to start when self defense is their goal.
I have taught several people to shoot over the years. However, I admit that my purpose in teaching people to shoot has been to try to give them an appreciation of firearms and instill a sense of . . . well, almost kinship with guns, rather than try to teach a limited course in basic self defense. Although this may sound strange to some here, self defense is, if not quite a side issue, not the most important part of my firearms outlook. However, I can see if someone only wants to learn the basics of safety and technique for purely self defense purposes, your approach would be more efficient. I have a different perspective.
bigjim Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
I have taught several people to shoot over the years. However, I admit that my purpose in teaching people to shoot has been to try to give them an appreciation of firearms and instill a sense of . . . well, almost kinship with guns, rather than try to teach a limited course in basic self defense. Although this may sound strange to some here, self defense is, if not quite a side issue, not the most important part of my firearms outlook. However, I can see if someone only wants to learn the basics of safety and technique for purely self defense purposes, your approach would be more efficient. I have a different perspective.
Actually we are of the same mind set. I would hope that after their introduction to shooting many of those I instructed would find shooting to be a worthwhile hobby/sport/pastime and many do. But my primary purpose is to get them familiar with the safe handling practices and confident enough to defend themselves, their family, and their homes with a firearm.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #26

Liked 280 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Revolvers are not inherently more accurate than semi-autos . That should be cleared up now .

Either type, if a good example, is more accurate than most anyone shooting it anyway .

Old 05-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Revolvers are not inherently more accurate than semi-autos . That should be cleared up now .

Either type, if a good example, is more accurate than most anyone shooting it anyway .
Accuracy at 7 or less yards is not a real consideration. But safety and simplicity is! This is where the revolver is far better than an auto to a new shooter!

7point62 Likes This