Self defense practice range - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Self defense practice range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 12:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

7 yards is the standard.
A proficient handgunner especially if he is using a revolver may push it out more sometimes a lot more.

But 20 yards shooting with a hand gun is only for advanced shooters that are enjoying showing off IMO ( I sometimes do it with a revolver only as they are more accurate and usually in single action).

The US marshals service often shoots their 40 pistols at my range and they shoot at 7 or 8 yards.

Since I am a bit of a snob at the range I put my targets out at 8 yards usually.
but 7 yards really <is> the standard for handgunning and once you hit reliably at 7 yards you ought to work on speed and draw and double tapping.

Only when you are a whiz at 7 yds would you bother going to 10 or anything like that.
I sometime enjoy shwoing off and taking it to 15 yds but I shoot a revolver so I have an inbuilt advantage anyway when it comes to accuracy.

But that's really just showing off not proper training.
For a beginner on an autoloader to try for 20 yds makes no sense at all.
Go for 7 yds I guess is the moral of my story.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Last edited by bluez; 05-03-2013 at 12:28 PM.

Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2017 Times on 1385 Posts
Likes Given: 768

If you have a home range I would set up multiple targets at 3 to 10 yards. Shoot each target enough to force a reload. I use pizza boxes for practice. I cut a 6" IDPA head on each box. I try to put 2 or 3 shots in each head. Sometimes I don't have enough boxes to empty a 15 shot clip so I put enough shells in each magazine to force a reload.

Shooting a formal IDPA match will help a lot too. IDPA forces you to get used to shooting from cover and some matches force you to shoot with your off hand. You will need 100 shell to shoot full bore six course of fire match. Beginners matches are usually four courses of fire. You may or may not need to reload on every course of fire. Brind more ammo than you are required. I shoot the targets that I have problems hitting more than is required.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #13

Liked 1142 Times on 592 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
While there WILL be different opinions on distance at which you should practice, FBI stats on LEO shootings some time back were that 90% were at 7 yards or less- and that 50% were at 2 FEET or less (powderburn distance)

And yes, I DO shoot 25, 50, and 100 yds (with a LOOONG barreled 357 for 100!) But I also spend time on the 7 yd line- draw and double tap, draw and double tap)

Even if most "gunfights" happen at 7 yards or less, I don't see any down side to practicing at 15 yards or more. I believe if you can keep a tight, accurate group at the longer distance, it will only help at shorter ranges. I will admit that, in shooting, accuracy is more important to me than speed, as I shot bullseye competition in my late teens to mid-twenties. I believe that one should not sacrifice shot placement for speed, nor assume that they will never need to make a shot 25 or more yards.

A few years ago I went to a combat shooting school, where we drew and shot at targets, went through a "fun house", and then were paired to up to compete against on another to see who could draw and hit metal plates downrange first. I wasn't the fastest in the class, but at the end of the class I ranked no. 1 out of 14 students. Now, this isn't to say I'm such a great shakes with a handgun -- I know there are many, many on this forum who undoubtably could shoot circles around me. But my ranking was due in no little part because I practiced at longer ranges and hit what I shot at.

(In my competition days I shot 50 yards regulary with a 1911 and Smith Model 41; these days I still sometimes play around at that distance, but I've never tried a 100 yard shot with a handgun. )

Last edited by txpossum; 05-03-2013 at 07:25 PM.
People Like This 
Old 05-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #14

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

3" barrel = short site radius - so definitely lots of practice needed here. I predict that if you follow all of the basics as suggested in previous posts with lots of practice you should get better. 7 yards (21 feet) is realistic, if you think about it, is it not? Starting out farther than that would be, IMO, very challenging for anyone.

Last edited by NOVA; 05-03-2013 at 07:33 PM.

Old 05-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #15

I realize I am in the minority here, but I still believe that one should be proficient at distances longer than seven yards.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

First you MUST become proficient up close and personal, that is why I teach point shooting in my armed self defense classes. Once you master this then work on 'marksmanship'. I agree that shooting at distances out to 25 yds is good training for SD situations after you learn to shoot up close.
Aim small, miss small. Aim big, miss big!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

csaw44 Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
First you MUST become proficient up close and personal, that is why I teach point shooting in my armed self defense classes. Once you master this then work on 'marksmanship'. I agree that shooting at distances out to 25 yds is good training for SD situations after you learn to shoot up close.
Aim small, miss small. Aim big, miss big!
Well, I've been called backwards before, but I was learned marksmanship and target shooting first, then later on worked on self defense and/or combat shooting.

I think that teaching someone to shoot at too close of a range does them a disservice, as they tend to develop bad shooting habits that might not make much difference at 7 yards, but would seriously effect accuracy at longer distances. This means they would essentially have to learn twice.

But, as stated, I'm prejudiced toward target shooting.
Old 05-04-2013, 01:58 AM   #18
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk

Sadly, most ranges in town don't allow drawing from a holster and shooting.
Same here.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3052 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1306

I, like others, prefer to be proficient at longer distances.
7 yards (21 feet) - a person with knife already drawn coming at you would have cut you before you get a shot off (I mean most normal people with a holstered firearm).

We learn to draw and fire, but how about weapon retention training?

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 05-04-2013, 10:56 AM   #20

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm sorry but I can throw a bullet 21 feet and hit something. I do practice close some but do most of my (pistol) shooting ar 20 yards and out (average 25 yds).
My dad was a surveyor. He would drill in my head all the time a small error can be overlooked if it is over a short distance. Allow that error to travel over a longer distance and you will see the error in a much more glaring light. Meaning you are cornering a sight a little you might see a loose group at 7-10 yds but you have that same error at 25 and you will miss your target. I've used this mind set for years and it has done me a great service. I can see my mistakes much faster and get to correcting them in a hurry before they become bad habits that are much harder to get rid of.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson