Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Self defense practice range (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/self-defense-practice-range-89927/)

Squawk 05-01-2013 11:43 PM

I recently received my CCDW License and started EDC my Shield. I went to the range and was shooting appx. 20-25 yards out with very poor accuracy. A friend said the chances you will have to shoot that far for self defense are very slim.

So I ask. What distance should I be practicing at for self defense? With a 3 inch barrel pistol?

improvised_prepper 05-01-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squawk
I recently received my CCDW License and started EDC my Shield. I went to the range and was shooting appx. 20-25 yards out with very poor accuracy. A friend said the chances you will have to shoot that far for self defense are very slim.

Your friend was right, the standard range for SD is about 7 yards. Any further than that, people will wonder if you really needed to use deadly force.

danf_fl 05-02-2013 10:18 AM

While a short distance is the norm, I suggest that you try for longer.

With a good operating pistol or revolver, 12" group at 25 yards should be your goal for now.
Look back at the basics of pistol shooting: sight alignment, breath control, squeeze the trigger, and follow through.

If you can shoot 12" at 75', you should be able to have 4" at 25' (normal room and hall length).

drvsafe 05-02-2013 11:02 AM

I would focus on being proficient from between 3-15 yards. Practice your presentation from your EDC holster, and strong hand firing as opposed to two handed. You may want to consider a defensive handgun class as well. As it will help you to understand what drills to focus on.

7point62 05-02-2013 11:18 AM

x100 on all the above advice. After proficiency comes expanding your base skills with variety of distances, variety of positions, barricade drills, strong-side & support-side, kneeling, crouching, etc.

Squawk 05-02-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drvsafe
I would focus on being proficient from between 3-15 yards. Practice your presentation from your EDC holster, and strong hand firing as opposed to two handed. You may want to consider a defensive handgun class as well. As it will help you to understand what drills to focus on.

Sadly, most ranges in town don't allow drawing from a holster and shooting.

txpossum 05-02-2013 01:52 PM

My "short" practice distance is 15 yards, and I think that is the minimum distance one should be proficient in. These days my "long" practice distance is 25 yards. There was a time when I regulary shot 50 yards, but now I have trouble even seeing that far.

c3shooter 05-02-2013 02:55 PM

While there WILL be different opinions on distance at which you should practice, FBI stats on LEO shootings some time back were that 90% were at 7 yards or less- and that 50% were at 2 FEET or less (powderburn distance)

And yes, I DO shoot 25, 50, and 100 yds (with a LOOONG barreled 357 for 100!) But I also spend time on the 7 yd line- draw and double tap, draw and double tap)

KJG67 05-02-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1233850)
While a short distance is the norm, I suggest that you try for longer.

With a good operating pistol or revolver, 12" group at 25 yards should be your goal for now.
Look back at the basics of pistol shooting: sight alignment, breath control, squeeze the trigger, and follow through.

If you can shoot 12" at 75', you should be able to have 4" at 25' (normal room and hall length).

I'd be willing to bet you just need to work on the above/trigger control. Just practice. Also no harm in checking in with an instructor for some assistance if you don't see improvement.
Aim small, miss small.

7point62 05-03-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 1234080)
While there WILL be different opinions on distance at which you should practice, FBI stats on LEO shootings some time back were that 90% were at 7 yards or less- and that 50% were at 2 FEET or less (powderburn distance)

And yes, I DO shoot 25, 50, and 100 yds (with a LOOONG barreled 357 for 100!) But I also spend time on the 7 yd line- draw and double tap, draw and double tap)

Just for fun once in awhile I'll take a handgun back to 70 yds or so and try my luck...and with a tad of barrel elevation hit paper with a .38 or .45