Self defense- Mom and baby vs intruder
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Self defense- Mom and baby vs intruder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 12:47 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9424 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 1479

Default Self defense- Mom and baby vs intruder

News article today- c&p

KFOR's Bobbie Miller reports.
By msnbc.com staff
An 18-year-old Oklahoma mother fearing for her infant's life shot and killed an intruder after a 911 operator told her, "Do what you have to do to protect your baby."

Sarah McKinley was home with her 3-month-old son on New Year's Eve in Blanchard, Okla., when Justin Martin, 24, broke in with a large hunting knife, NBC affiliate KFOR-TV reported. McKinley told KFOR that Martin had come by a week before, claiming to be a neighbor, but she didn't let him in.

When Martin first showed up at her door, McKinley said she was in mourning: It was the night of her husband's funeral. He had died of cancer on Christmas Day.

advertisement"I saw that it was the same man. He had been here Thursday night and I had a bad feeling then," McKinley told KFOR.

Martin returned on New Year's Eve, but this time with another man, and armed with a 12-inch knife. McKinley could hear the two intruders pounding on the door, and knew she had to think fast.

First, she pushed a couch in front of the front door.

Then, she grabbed her son and "walked over and got the 12-gauge, went in the bedroom and got the pistol and put the bottle in his mouth and then I called 911," she told ABC affiliate KOCO.

The 911 operator asked McKinley to confirm that her doors were locked.

The young mother said yes, and asked if it was all right for her to shoot the man if he were to enter her house, reported KOCO.

McKinley said she asked the dispatcher, "I've got two guns in my hand -- is it OK to shoot him if he comes in this door? I'm here by myself with my infant baby, can I please get a dispatcher out here immediately?"

"I can't tell you that you can do that but you do what you have to do to protect your baby," the dispatcher said.

The 911 conversation lasted for 21 minutes. Then the door gave in.

"I waited till he got in the door. They said I couldn't shoot him until he was inside the house. So I waited until he got in the door and then I shot him," McKinley told KFOR.

Martin kicked in the door and charged at McKinley with his knife, but she said she shot at him before he could get to her.

McKinley struck Martin in the upper torso. He was pronounced dead at the scene, according to Oklahoma's News 9.

His alleged accomplice, Dustin Stewart, fled the scene, and later surrendered to police.

"You're allowed to shoot an unauthorized person that is in your home. The law provides you the remedy, and sanctions the use of deadly force," Detective Dan Huff of the Blanchard police told KOCO.

Some other suspicious activity around her home has led McKinley to believe Martin may have been stalking her, reported KFOR. Two of her dogs recently were found dead, she said.

The decision to shoot was difficult, she told KFOR.

"There's nothing more dangerous than a mother with her baby. But I wouldn't have done it if it wasn't for him."

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5923 Times on 3093 Posts
Likes Given: 418

guns dont ever help a situation how dare she shoot a young man that was just starting to turn his life around!!

one less vote for obama in november

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2680 Times on 1304 Posts
Likes Given: 1348

C3,

That is a perfect example of what the Second Amendment is all about! And how important it is for all of us to do our part to defend it!
The right to protect yourself, your family and friends. Although she is absolutely correct in every way, I did disagree about one thing she said. That being referring to the fact she would not have done it if the baby had not been present! Dead ladies can not testify against dirt bags who charge in breaking the door down with a knife. They for all probability would have raped and killed her if she had been by herself and then taken every valuable in the house. And God Bless the Castle Doctrine that the decent states in the USA are adopting. There is no doubt she would have been dead either way if she had not taken action.
God bless this young lady! Her and her baby are safe and the dirt bag is no longer stealing good air from his fellow human beings!
One of my favorite sayings comes to mind regarding the dirt bag that was shot. "It is not that I am insensitive it's that I just don't give a Frupp!" You know what I mean! Thanks for sending this thread our way!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 01-05-2012, 01:51 AM   #4
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Gotta feel sorry for this woman...give birth, bury her husband and kill an intruder in less than 6 months!

My question is....where was that pussbag German Sheppard during all this???

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-05-2012, 01:56 AM   #5

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj
Gotta feel sorry for this woman...give birth, bury her husband and kill an intruder in less than 6 months!

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k237rD7GzC0

My question is....where was that pussbag German Sheppard during all this???
I was thinking the baby is three weeks old, week before Christmas. Husband dies on Christmas. She kills scumbag New Years? Of course lung cancer was probably long drawn out ordeal. Any way she 's had it rough. God bless her.

NEVER FORGET

Old 01-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #6

It's unfortunate that this happened but I would hope my wife would do the same. Good luck to her and her baby.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:10 AM   #7

I'm sorry for the loss of her husband but what she did is just right - to protect her son.

Last edited by canebrake; 02-12-2012 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Spam