Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Security Officer Training/Equipment.... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/security-officer-training-equipment-18155/)

themanbeau 09-17-2009 01:58 AM

Security Officer Training/Equipment....

Hello, FTers-

I thought I'd mix the serious and not-so-serious in this post.

Question:

With proper training, do you think private security officers should all be carrying firearms?

I ask this largely because I work in this field, and think it is pretty archaic to
have so many potential augmentees to the police and military in an unarmed
condition, in this age of high crime and (potential) terrorism. Check out the poll
attached to this post, and let us all know what you think.

Awaiting your responses-

ranger_sxt 09-17-2009 03:56 AM

A qualified yes.

If the protectee wishes an armed guard, then by all means allow it.

Many of the people who want guards, are not willing to have them armed...

Rentacop 09-17-2009 07:16 PM

Guards are citizens and citizens have a right to carry guns, even though almost everybody else thinks otherwise.

Where it gets tricky is in forcing guards to carry guns even if they'd prefer not to. If you leave it up to the guard, he can decide if his physical and mental makeup are suitable for working armed.

It is true that some clients want unarmed guards. That policy resulted in the Fathers' Day Massacre at Denver's United Bank building, in which 4 unarmed guards were shot to death. You can find out more about it by Googling.

IGETEVEN 09-17-2009 07:42 PM

Arm them damn guards and keep them firearm trained and profficient. Most the time they are there to safeguard people and property. Two things now days, that armed bad guys tend to want more, and are willing to take by armed force.

Jack

Yunus 09-17-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rentacop (Post 161249)
Where it gets tricky is in forcing guards to carry guns even if they'd prefer not to. If you leave it up to the guard, he can decide if his physical and mental makeup are suitable for working armed.

Exactly! I don't want anyone to be forced to carry a gun if they don't want to. Now, refusal to carry a gun if required should be a reason to not be hired or a valid reason to fire someone if its needed for their job.

skullcrusher 09-17-2009 08:41 PM

What's the deal with option #9? :eek: Not kosher, imho.

tiberius10721 09-18-2009 07:17 PM

I think shotguns would be a good option for security guards. Now Im not saying guards should be restricted to only shotguns Im just saying that I like the shotgun for security purposes.

falseharmonix 09-19-2009 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 161292)

I'm with ya on that one brother....

I voted 'YES' to the poll. I wouldn't feel 'secure' with an unarmed guard (granted, this is assuming that I'm a person that is likely to be target by devious characters, of which I am not).

themanbeau 09-19-2009 01:18 AM

Security Officer training....

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 161292)

I DID say that I was mixing the serious, with the not-so-serious. You
guys aren't denying a man a right to be tongue-in-cheek, are you? I hope not,
because political satire is older than these United States, and may it LIVE LONG!

Standing for having some fun, on FT!-:p

Rentacop 10-09-2009 09:44 AM

A further note-
One reason that employers refuse to allow guards to carry guns is...

"If an unarmed guard gets shot, it is the guard's problem but if an armed guard shoots someone, it is his employer's problem. "