Safety Section; past statistics - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Safety Section; past statistics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Tango pretty much hit that one dead on. One of the biggest problems I see is irresposible people who own firearms (usually one) and treat it as if it's a bomb about to go off so the kids can never see it. 99.99% of the trouble kids get into starts with curiosity. 99.9% of that trouble (interaction with the opposite sex being the .09% exception) can be avoided through education and familiarity.

If you teach your kids that there is no huge mystique involved with firearms and get them accustomed to them, they will learn to respect them. If, however, the firearm is treated like the crazy uncle that lives in the basement the curiosity will always be there and the minute they have the opportunity to satisfy that curiosity (ALWAYS when an adult is not around) bad stuff happens.

My 11 y/o knows the combination to the gun safe and the ammo safe. He sometimes is alone in the house for 20-30 minutes when I pick up his twin 3 y/o brother and sister from daycare (love being a frikkin single father). He knows he wouldn't sit for a week if he touched anything without permission. Don't get me wrong, he is very interested in them and just put together his first AR lower, but to him, they are just a hobby he happens to like. No different than some kids stare at video games all day, or some assinine Japanimation card game, albeit a hobby that requires much more maturity and responsibility.

Given the vein of the OP's topics thus far, maybe this was pointless?

"People live too long, dogs don't live long enough" - FTF Member-

Last edited by jeepcreep927; 03-17-2010 at 05:41 AM.