Safety Section; past statistics

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Safety Section; past statistics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Safety Section; past statistics

First I want to give kudos to the site for having a Safety Section. As firearms enthusiasts we need to promote safety first, second and last.

Now my question, I have seen statistics of firearms accidental deaths, by year over the last thirty years. Now I cannot find it. The stats showed a decline over the years as firearms ownership increased.

Safety, Safety, Safety.

All rights reserved. All wrongs revenged.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default CDC data

Over the last thirty years firearms enthusiasts have made great strides to the endeavor of preventing firearms accidents. The NRA deserves most of the credit, but the responsibility falls on all gun owners. This plays out in the fight for our rights. Whether you be for open carry, concealed carry, hunting only or just gun in the home, these facts work to support our cause and debunk the claims of our detractors.
You cannot argue that the population has increased. And you have to admit there are more guns than ever. But why does nobody talk about the unintentional (accidents) death rate by firearms?

The numbers below represent those taken by me this morning from the CDC database.

unintentional death rate by firearms

Year...........Deaths.............Rate per 100,000

I'm sure there are variables that can cut this up, but those are the numbers.
While the anti's tout the dangers of guns and the millions of guns in America, they fall short of bring up the accident rate.

Politics aside. What the NRA and gun owners have been doing in regards to safety and public education is working. And that is something I can believe in and support.

I'm off my soapbox now.

Last edited by RomeoTango; 03-14-2010 at 07:46 PM.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:39 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8864 Times on 3839 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Reason for decline? Removal of stupid people before they reproduce, and pass the trait to offspring???

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:46 AM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Remember , the decline during 1994-2004, the Brady Campaign and the Violence Policy Center like to attribute to the Assault Weapons Ban. If you look at the big picture, the AWB made no difference at all.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8864 Times on 3839 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Susan- ref: Teens getting access-

I am MUCH more concerned about teens having "access" to the horrid devices that have MUCH more destructive capacity than firearms. They are called "automobiles". Every day we have young people dying- and killing others- through the careless handling of "automobiles". This morning, the family of a teen in my community is picking out a coffin for their teen who died last night. His teenaged buddy decided to try to run when a local deputy turned on the blue lights- he was running 60 in a 45 zone on a local 2 lane road. 20 seconds later, he lost control, hit a phone pole, and now there are 3 teens in the hospital, and 1 in the morgue.

On the other hand, MY teens are now my grandkids. If you had been around here, you would have heard me bragging about my shooting partner for the past 4 years- my youngest granddaughter, now 14 yrs old. I have no concerns about her having "access" to my firearms- since she has demonstrated that she understands and follows the proper safe practices in handling and using firearms. However, I have seen some really TALL children in my life- without regard to age, they have not learned how to behave like an adult.

In reading your posts, I get the impression that you have had little exposure to firearms, and may be more than a touch in awe or fear of them. They are inanimate objects, incapable of independent action. If this is a correct assumption, I would suggest that you find a responsible club or shooting range in your area, and have someone take you shooting a few times. If you are anywhere near central Virginia, would be happy to have you come along with granddaughter (anarchist in training) and myself for an afternoon. BTW, granddaughter's MOM was shooting with me when she was 10 yrs old. I have 50 yrs of active shooting history, including 23 years with the US Army- and neither self nor family has misused firearms, had epiphanies with burning bushes, etc.

Regards- C3

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 03-16-2010 at 05:53 PM.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
I am MUCH more concerned about teens having "access" to the horrid devices that have MUCH more destructive capacity than firearms. They are called "automobiles". C3
Great point!

It's like paradise on Earth, enriched with the ever so sweet nectar of
elk urine.

When you're out there by yourself, you become who you really are.

Old 03-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanMart View Post
thanks, RomeoTango

this is a nice thread!

I absolutely agree that safety should go as the main point everywhere and special here, in the forum where everybody seems to be armed(

firearms are so scary for me even to watch, and what if a teen gets access.....pheww

anyways, we have to follow all the safety rules!!!
Same way I feel about cars and airplanes...Oh, add in there electricity, Dads ski boat, knives, the weed eater and lawn mower too!!

When you think about it, nearly everything we do requires rules and respect; if you don't want to get bit by it!!

People get the government they deserve.

Last edited by dunerunner; 03-16-2010 at 07:31 PM.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanMart View Post
thanks, RomeoTango

this is a nice thread!

I absolutely agree that safety should go as the main point everywhere and special here, in the forum where everybody seems to be armed(

firearms are so scary for me even to watch, and what if a teen gets access.....pheww

anyways, we have to follow all the safety rules!!!
I had plenty of access and even my own guns when I was a teen. Very scary indeed...... *anti *cough* anti*

Old 03-17-2010, 12:10 AM   #9

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
1st Firearms should scare all around them a little bit. That is why most everyone here gives them the respect they deserve.

As a teen I had access to well over 50 guns and ammo for everyone of them. It is all on how you teach your child to deal with them.

Just tonight I was getting my range bag ready for my next range trip. My son 10 years old walks over to my safe and grabs my 1911 and starts waving it around. After he stopped crying from the ass whooping I put on him he learned that you don't touch ANYTHING in the safe unless dad says you can. Now I am sure I can leave the safe open and he will not touch anything in there.

You must teach your children to respect firearms then they can use them.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:01 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
1st Firearms should scare all around them a little bit. That is why most everyone here gives them the respect they deserve.

As a teen I had access to well over 50 guns and ammo for everyone of them. It is all on how you teach your child to deal with them.

Just tonight I was getting my range bag ready for my next range trip. My son 10 years old walks over to my safe and grabs my 1911 and starts waving it around. After he stopped crying from the ass whooping I put on him he learned that you don't touch ANYTHING in the safe unless dad says you can. Now I am sure I can leave the safe open and he will not touch anything in there.

You must teach your children to respect firearms then they can use them.
Great point, and one that isn't mentioned much. A little bit of (justified) fear breeds a healthy respect; these tools are not toys. Which can only cement safety as being of prime importance at all times.

A whole lot different from gun-phobic fearful ignorance...which we are only too well aware of here.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D