A safety reminder we oft times forget

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > A safety reminder we oft times forget

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default A safety reminder we oft times forget

Something at the range yesterday reminded me about a little forgotten safety measure. A friend brings his Remington 700 BDL to the range for me to shoot on Fridays because he knows I love shooting it.

I ran about 12 rounds through it and stopped and we were talking and he asked my son if he wanted to shoot it. So my son shoots a couple rounds and likes the rifle he tries to fire another round and it miss-fired. He reaches up and draws the bolt back ejecting the un-fired round. That is when it reminded me about hang-fires, so I told him about hang-fires and if a round does not go off when you pull the trigger to let it sit for a minute.

I have only had 2 hang fires in my life of shooting, one was with a .22LR and the other was in basic with the M-16. Both times I had let the round stay in the chamber for a little bit and sure enough they cooked off after a few seconds. If one ejects the round from a weapon right after it miss-fires they could be in danger of injury to self, others near by, and weapon. So just remember to let it sit pointed in a safe direction for a minute before ejecting the bad round.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2802 Times on 1620 Posts
Likes Given: 1219

Thanks for the reminder.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-04-2010, 12:56 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

opaww, never experienced a hang fire on a modern firearm but have witnessed a couple on black powder guns and that can also be detrimental to someone health. I think we all get a little complacent form time to time, thanks for the reminder.

Brother, shoot straight and stay safe, Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:28 PM   #4

Yep, good reminder for sure! Other than black powder guns I've only had one hangfire, it was with a .22 mag. It was only a two second delay but I remember it very well.

Old 09-04-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1841 Times on 1312 Posts
Likes Given: 2079

Default Live rounds

I've seen this many times, and some times the shooter will be pointing the gun at other people, Better to wait a min. like the man says because shinola do happen. Be safe for the Hollidays, God bless America and those in the Military.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:06 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks for the reminder Opaww, A hangfire with the muzzle pointed the wrong direction can ruin a perfectly good day at the range. While I myself have never experienced it, I can see how the first reaction would be to eject the mis-fired round. Thanks again for the reminder!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 09-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I have them from time to time with old Turkish 8x57. They hang for just a fraction of a second, to a second. Long enough to be unnerving.

Also had one with some Federal Premium .300 Win Mag, which really bugged me.

Thanks for the reminder Opaww.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Great tip. I've heard of cook offs before, but not hang fires.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:34 PM   #9

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I see video after video of dummies having some sort of malfunction and the first thing they do is look down the barrel or bring the gun around to show the video camera (with a camera person holding it, obviously).

STOOPID!

Now, you said misfire and not CLICK-hangfire. Maybe this is a good thread for someone to describe the few most common misfire problems to watch out for and what they sound like/look like...

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-04-2010, 04:50 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks for the reminder.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams