Safety issues with living in an apartment.. - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Safety issues with living in an apartment..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 02:06 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

1) The things said about a handgun are true. Mix tired muscles with a rush of adrenaline, and it's going to be tough to pull a 3-foot, 6lb shotgun into action leaning in the corner compared to a <2lb handgun off the night stand. For me that is more important because I can see the tile behind the front door from my pillow, so I wouldn't have much time to prepare for something barging through my door.

2) A shotgun is definitely not as easy to wield in tight quarters. Imagine walking past an open door and the BG is waiting in that doorway. He could easily grab the side of the barrel and push it away. A handgun, however, can be tucked into the chest with the elbows out to drastically decrease the chances of a BG getting his hands on it.

3) Realistically, a shotgun is much better for static defense. If you plan on crouching next to / behind the bed with the muzzle aimed at your doorway while your wife / partner calls the cops, nothing can beat the shotgun for close range. However, if movement is required (typically either if there are children / friends / relatives that need to be retreived, or if the homeowner is being unnecessarily brave), then the handgun is better. As stated, the off hand could be used to hold a phone or flashlight, to open a door, to hold on to said loved one, or even to fend off an attack while still maintaining use of the firing hand.

4) Avoiding over-penetration is definitely a priority. People often overlook the legal ramifications of even a justified self-defense shooting (not so much in Castle Doctrine states, though), and endangering or actually harming an innocent, especially through walls, will give tons of power to an aggressive prosecutor. Imagine that lawyer saying something like "oh, so you wildly shot at everything that moved, with no care if you killed some innocent child sleeping in his bed?"

5) However, DO NOT count on birdshot to incapacitate a threat!!! It will leave a nasty-but-very-shallow flesh wound that will hurt, but will still give the attacker minutes, if not hours, of full functionality. A neck- or face-shot would do the trick quite well (eyes being put out, mostly), however. I am not saying don't use birdshot--in your case I'd almost say it's the only responsible option--I am just saying don't expect the BG to instantly fall to the ground, and DO expect to fire multiple shots!!

6) That brings me to my next point: Anyone who will enter your home while it is occupied is either prepared to deal with your presence, or is crazy enough to not recognize that anyone is home, making him a very big threat anyways. In either of those cases, the key point is that the intruder is not affraid. Of course, it's possible that they might be scared away by racking the slide, but that is only a chance. What we do know for sure is that by racking the slide, as stated above, it would guarantee that the intruder knows your location (at least roughly) and that you are armed. If you are scared of keeping a shell chambered all the time, just chamber a round when you go to bed. The only sound you should be making is flipping the safety off.

7) To the OP: Since you can't buy a handgun anyways, don't worry about it. A shotgun (with birdshot) will be safer for your situation and much easier to use effectively. On that note, I'd also go with a 20g for less noise and more controllability without sacrificing much in the way of power. No type of rifle should be a consideration. Even with good training, the chances of a miss are much higher than those of a hit, unless you are ready for him as he enters a doorway. And even then, if he's a foot shorter than you expected, or if he's not centered in the doorway, you could still very well not make a clean hit (shoulder or arm, for example) or even miss altogether, endangering anyone in the path of the bullet through several walls.

I live in an apartment also, but filled cinderblock walls separate all the units, heh. Good luck with your purchase! Go with the 20g shotty

Old 08-20-2009, 12:31 AM   #22

Just in case you didn't know. There is 00 buck frangible rounds. It is made by International cartridges. I have 100 rds for my home 12g. They are low recoil. I have it mostly because the wife can handle it. Check into it.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #23

Also to mention on low recoil rounds,in case you didnt know, the amount of power is decreased as the recoil is decreased. If you need proof, let me look for it.

S.S.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:19 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
Also to mention on low recoil rounds,in case you didnt know, the amount of power is decreased as the recoil is decreased. If you need proof, let me look for it.

S.S.
At the store I used to work we tested the frangible 00buck against a level 2 body armor at 10 yards and it went through, front to back. We were suprised but it happend. Since is an apartment you will be shooting less that 10yrds. This rounds should do the job. By the way. The frangible slug doesn't break or dust on impact.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm interested to see where this goes.

I didn't know about frangible buckshot.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #26

Liked 1114 Times on 687 Posts
Likes Given: 2437

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG23 View Post
there is no "safe round" to fire around the home. all bullets can kill.
And in the case of buck Shot, each pellet has a lawyer attached to it. The moral of the story, know where your shooting and be prepaired to pay the price if the BG isnt all you hit.

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #27

Liked 272 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 30

BigByrd -
( in fun )
If " each pellet has a lawyer attached to it ", that would be because you had shot a lawyer, which would probably be justifiable ( LOL).

Old 08-21-2009, 05:19 PM   #28

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by james_black View Post
At the store I used to work we tested the frangible 00buck against a level 2 body armor at 10 yards and it went through, front to back. We were suprised but it happend. Since is an apartment you will be shooting less that 10yrds. This rounds should do the job. By the way. The frangible slug doesn't break or dust on impact.
Good chit there Black, thanks for bringing it to attention. I think I will be looking into this myself. Guys here's a link of explanation on frangible ammunition.

Frangible Ammunition

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-01-2009, 06:24 PM   #29

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You could just set up paint buckets at the top of your door like in "Home Alone"