Safety issues with living in an apartment.. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Safety issues with living in an apartment..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Considering recent rumblings regarding ammunition regulation, it might be smarter to buy a weapon that uses "sporting ammo" like a shotgun. Also, buckshot is far from cheap, especially compared to some #7 target loads.

Just think if Cheney had been using buckshot on that bird hunt; that would've been rough (not to mention very impractical).

Old 02-27-2009, 01:15 AM   #12

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Jeff Cooper said that if you hit the person you are shooting at, he will slow or stop the bullets, so you won't have to worry as much about hitting innocent bystanders .

The best gun for home defense is a handgun. Good ones cannot go off from being dropped, have heavy enough triggers and are safe to keep loaded . They can be operated with one hand while the other hand holds a phone or flashlight . They are hard to snatch away and easy to maneuver in a house . You can easily shoot them while lying in bed !

The best system is a handgun backed by a long gun . Good choices include the double-barreled side-by-side coach guns as well as pump guns . Even rifles like the AK and ARs can work well. The idea is to have heavy artillery for when you can bring it into play because handguns lack stopping power .
Don't get all excited about racking the action to scare away the intruder ; the sound may just pinpoint your location for him and let him know you are armed ( TMI ).

Focus on the key factors. Don't get caught up worrying about what gun may over-penetrate , make a loud bang , look bad in court etc .

Old 02-27-2009, 03:37 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
Jeff Cooper said that if you hit the person you are shooting at, he will slow or stop the bullets, so you won't have to worry as much about hitting innocent bystanders .
If you have more pellets or bb's in the load you'll be much more likely to hit your target than with a 9mm,.40,or .45. There's no question about that.

Quote:
The best gun for home defense is a handgun. Good ones cannot go off from being dropped, have heavy enough triggers and are safe to keep loaded .
No advantage there over a shotgun. Shotguns fit all that criteria plus some.

Quote:
They can be operated with one hand while the other hand holds a phone or flashlight . They are hard to snatch away and easy to maneuver in a house . You can easily shoot them while lying in bed !
That's one advantage, the one hand thing, but not enough to sway my opinion on home defense over shotguns.

Quote:
The best system is a handgun backed by a long gun . Good choices include the double-barreled side-by-side coach guns as well as pump guns . Even rifles like the AK and ARs can work well. The idea is to have heavy artillery for when you can bring it into play because handguns lack stopping power .
How are handguns good for home defense if they lack stopping power? The rest throws the one hand defense out the window.

Quote:
Don't get all excited about racking the action to scare away the intruder ; the sound may just pinpoint your location for him and let him know you are armed ( TMI ).
Could be, but more than likely the intruder(s) will be scared senseless.

Quote:
Focus on the key factors. Don't get caught up worrying about what gun may over-penetrate , make a loud bang , look bad in court etc .
On the contrary, I think the rounds penetration should be considered deeply before selecting ammunition or gun types for home defense.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Learn to shoot. Get a high-capacity rifle. Don't miss.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #15

I would think the "shotgun advice you're getting is on the mark in my humble opinion;

also- I believe the police / military have ammo that is designed to stop / knockdown an assailant without killing innocent passer-by's (i.e. when it hits the body the bullet breaks apart).

Don't remember the name but will ask my nephew- MD State Police Officer, he says their entry teams use it.....

Regards,
John

Old 02-27-2009, 06:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger_sxt View Post
Learn to shoot. Get a high-capacity rifle. Don't miss.
That could be true for a 60 year old who has been shooting since he was 15, but nobody knows how they will react until they are in that position and thats an actual fact.

But think of apartment set up, somebody could have their couch against the wall that your front door is on. They could be sitting RIGHT against the other side of the wall your shooting twords

"It is a sin to be silent when it is your duty to protest."
-- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by Seanml89; 02-27-2009 at 10:11 PM. Reason: I cant type

Old 02-27-2009, 11:28 PM   #17

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

To clarify :
What I proposed as ideal was a handgun backed up by a long gun. The advantage of this system is that you can have more stopping power if you can bring the long gun into play . If you can't get to your heavy artillery, the handgun is -er- handier . If your long gun goes dry, your handgun is the fastest reload in the world when you transition to it .

My understanding is that some shotguns and rifles can fire from being dropped .
Shotguns do not have much of a spread at close range so you still need to aim .

Bird shot can be soaked up by belly fat or a beefy biceps . Heavy clothing can slow it down . The best shotgun load would be buck or a slug .

If you are ever threatened or have reason to be especially alert, you can carry your handgun in a holster around the house . The long gun will be in the closet upstairs regardless of where you happen to be .

Years ago, in Virginia, a police sniper used an AR-15 instead of a .308 to shoot a hostage-taker in the back because he thought the .308 might endanger innocents by over-penetration . The AR-15 .223 failed to incapacitate the hostage-taker right away . The bad guy killed his hostage, a cop , with a sawed-off 12 guage and managed to pump a fresh shell into it before he died . That is an example of what can happen when you focus on secondary considerations like over-penetration .

Rentacop

" They said they'd take us without firin' a shot ;
I dont know if they will or not ;
But only me and crippled soldiers give a damn . "
From " Me And Crippled Soldiers ", sung by Merle Haggard, used without permission of Epic Records

Last edited by Rentacop; 02-27-2009 at 11:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-28-2009, 10:34 PM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanml89 View Post
That could be true for a 60 year old who has been shooting since he was 15, but nobody knows how they will react until they are in that position and thats an actual fact.

But think of apartment set up, somebody could have their couch against the wall that your front door is on. They could be sitting RIGHT against the other side of the wall your shooting twords
That's why you don't miss...

Old 08-12-2009, 04:33 AM   #19

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would suggest getting a Charley Bar to by yourself some time if somebody is trying to get in. We generally barricaded our door at night with one and it seemed to work pretty well. Even if it forced someone to kick our door multiple times, it would raise a ruckus and buy us time to get a gun and rack a slide.

Product Review: Master Lock Dual Function Door Security Bar - Associated Content

As for rounds to use, it sounds like you are shooting a carbine. You'll gain velocity due to the increased barrel length. To tone it down a bit, I would think hollowpoints or safety slugs might be a good idea. I have some information on the amount of velocity you gain with a carbine versus a pistol here:

An Introduction to Short Rifles - Associated Content

As always though, I'm just a dude on the internet. So you'll want to keep researching.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 08-12-2009, 08:28 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

My home defense weapon of choice will always be a 12ga shotgun loaded with #1 Buck (16 pellets), period.

Back up HD weapon will be a S&W Model 10 38Special in the nightstand.

In any home defense situation, you want time to be on your side. If someone wants in, they will get in but the point is to make it as diffucult and time intensive as possible.

Last edited by TelstaR; 08-12-2009 at 08:34 PM.