Safety Goggles?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Safety Goggles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2007, 05:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Safety Goggles?

How many people here wear safety goggles to the range, arent you required to? How often does a firearm spit out stuff that flys up into your eyes?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #2

I don't wear goggles, but I do wear safty glasses. Goggles are not required at the range I visit But glasses are. I've never had anything but a few little hot specs hit me in the face, but I have had friends that had guns fire out of battery throw sh!t everywhere. They beat eye & ear protection into our head so much at work that it is like second nature now. You only have one set of eyes and ears, so why take any chances.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:46 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Goggles. No.
The range that I am a member of does require eye protection on site.
I usually wear flight glasses when practicing on paper and ansi approved safety glasses when I am shooting steel or competing.
I use ear protection with anything other than a .22 rifle.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:32 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

If it's bright out, I'll throw on some sunglasses. The only time I came close to taking something in the eye was when I had an M2 blow up on me in the army. I was wearing sunglasses at the time, so I got lucky. My AG had to have a half dozen pieces of steel and brass removed from his cheek and the side of his head.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:02 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I wear motorcyle glasses, they are really light and comfortable.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 10-11-2007, 12:34 AM   #6

Likes Given: 2

I wear safety glasses all the time

John

John W J
Heart in Australia
Body In New Mexico
http://opencarry.com/

Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoPete View Post
How many people here wear safety goggles to the range, arent you required to? How often does a firearm spit out stuff that flys up into your eyes?
Safety glasses are required, along with hearing protection, at every range that I know of. Even when I go into the mountains and informally plink and blow up water jugs, I insist that everyone with me wear "eyes & ears." Its just common sense. On the police ranges I attend annually to qualify, body armor is required, but I don't armor up to plink on a logging road.

I do make an exception for hunting, but I normally wear beefed up, polarized sun glasses anyway.

I've had firearms "spit out stuff." Stand beside someone firing a revolver, and it is common to get sprayed with powder and fragments of lead fouling. I've also been hit with ricochets from as far away as 25 yards. Shooting semi-auto pistols, occasionally an ejected case will fly right in my face.

Why take a chance? You only get one set of eyes.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 AM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I do not wear safety glasses persay but I wear my gargoyals when shooting. My Ray-Bans are to small to shoot with them on. I have taken a fleck of hot powder from my Neos once right in the eye when I did not have them on (Forgot the gargoyles and it went right over the raybans. So the gargoyals live in my range bag.

Eyes and ear are two things you only get one set each Take care of them.