Safety discussion with children - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Safety discussion with children

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2010, 02:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 953 Times on 512 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Your daughter is a little old to do what I did with each of my boys when they started getting big and I haven't read each post up here but I will make a suggestion (maybe already posted); What I did with my little ones when they started walking was show them the gun, tell them no, leave it in the living room (unloaded of course), and then run in like a viral drill serergent the second they touched it. I did that a few times until I could leave it out a month later and they didn't even get close to it.

But... The first time I took them to the range (which I would suggest to you) was take a few warm cans of soda to the gange, shook the bajeseus out of them when they weren't looking, set them up, and shot them. Then I walked them down field and showed them the can and explained to them that a head, chest, or back would look the exact same way if shot. But I got totally into it and grabbed their head, back, and chest when I talked about it. Let them know the damage that can be down with one and then fill them in on the legal outcome of using a gun wrong. Talk about the dead person's family, jail, everything. We sat at the range for an hour before the second shot ever came out of the gun and every person there shook my hand and their hand before I left.

Scare the **** out of here but make sure she knows how to use it properly.
I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington
Old 09-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I explained everything to my son when he was 8 yrs old. I showed him the firearms, taught him how they worked, then took him to the woods with a few gallon jugs filled with dyed water. I stood behind him while securing his hands with my 44 mag loaded with 44 specials. He aimed and shot a jug, red water all over the place. He then wanted to try by himself, I let him. After he blew away the jug on his own he placed the gun down and said I don't want to ever play with that, it's scary. I then loaded it with full house 44 mag loads and I shot it, it scared the crap out of him when he heard it and saw the jug explode upon impact. He has an utter respect for firearms that experienced adults have at this point. He also has a 22 rifle, a Henry lever action carbine with an 18 inch barrel and large loop lever. He shoots it, he cleans it, he's safe with it, he respects it ! I feel better that I educated him about firearms instead of him learning the hard way out of curiosity. This method isn't for everyone however.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .