You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Safety and Disability

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2016, 03:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Default Safety and Disability

I am disabled and I use crutches a lot. Various parts of my body is affected, mostly knees and ankles. Sometimes I can bare weight on my legs, using crutches, and those days I'm not so worried about. When I can't bare weight on my legs, that's when I'm more concerned about. I am working on my CWP/LTC/CHL. So since I use crutches a lot, I was wondering would be the "best" way to carry.

Thanks in Advance.
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-02-2016, 03:29 AM   #2

Liked 3955 Times on 2299 Posts
Likes Given: 999

That may depend some on what you decide to carry, what kind of safety system does the firearm have? What trigger system? How is hand strength and fine motor skill with the hands?
People Like This 
Old 06-02-2016, 05:14 AM   #3
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2233 Times on 1392 Posts
Likes Given: 1683

I'm interested in this conversation as my wife is in the market for a gun ( a past medic used to use a 1911), now disabled in knees, ankles, and some back issues. She also uses a cane and has good days and bad days. Her choice is a M&P .22 she has handled several revolvers and semi autos, manipulating hammer, safeties, slide release, etc. and the Smith & Wesson .22 seems to fit her abilities AND it will give her a reason to get out and exercise for her other health issues.
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17
People Like This 
Old 06-02-2016, 06:46 AM   #4

Right now I have a Taurus PT 111 Millennium G2 (9 mm). It's a DA/SA firearm with a thumb safety. For the most part, hand strength and fine motor skills are fine (at least "fine" to my standards). I haven't started to carry, which I really want to, because I am an "easy" target.

Last edited by Tim_miller85; 06-02-2016 at 06:48 AM.
dango Likes This 
Old 06-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #5
Forum Chaplain
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2233 Times on 1392 Posts
Likes Given: 1683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_miller85 View Post
Right now I have a Taurus PT 111 Millennium G2 (9 mm). It's a DA/SA firearm with a thumb safety. For the most part, hand strength and fine motor skills are fine (at least "fine" to my standards). I haven't started to carry, which I really want to, because I am an "easy" target.
Any outward sign of disability is viewed as vulnerability and puts a larger target on your back for the scum bags. Tim, get armed, get practice, and carry with confidence! May you find the gear and condition (position) of carry that gives you competence in your defense.
Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend. Prv. 27:17
dango Likes This 
Old 06-02-2016, 01:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4734 Times on 3018 Posts

Safety and Disability - Training & Safety...............
People Like This 
Old 06-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #7

Liked 3955 Times on 2299 Posts
Likes Given: 999

If hands work fine then what you currently have should work fine. You will need to practice drawing with the crutches, or dumping the crutches and drawing and hopefully your legs along with fight or flight response will keep you upright.i would say that 3 o'clock carry may be best for access in the event that you did fall forward or on your back. It is the hardest place for concealment but easiest for access.

Having the gun in a condition that you can perform any operation required to get it to fire with only one hand is going to be important too. This can give you the option of keeping the support side crutch and operating the gun with the strong hand only. Think single action, cocked and locked, or decocked with a round in the chamber and safety off (probably not the safest to lower the hammer with that Taurus since it doesn't have a dedicated decocker.)

I would buy some snap caps to practice one handed manipulations of the gun with at home, and one handed dry fire practice, if you need to retain one crutch for stability. There are good videos out there of one handed gun manipulation drills. Again I would do lots of one handed dry fire and then at the range do a lot of one handed practice shooting. On days when you have a pretty bad flare with the knees and you are home and safe with snap caps only in the gun. Try practicing dropping both crutches and drawing and aiming. See if you can stand your ground safely and operate the firearm two handed. Practice with one crutch. You will eventually land on what works best for carry position, and how to employ the pistol.
People Like This 
Old 06-02-2016, 08:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Safety and Disability - Training & Safety...............

I like this idea!
People Like This 
Old 06-02-2016, 08:21 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1856 Times on 1197 Posts
Likes Given: 1789

I expect it will be difficult managing crutches and your balance while drawing a pistol quickly and safely. I'm wondering how it would go with a dual function self defense cane(s)? No experience in this area at all, just thinking crutches and balance can be iffy just pulling out a wallet, cell phone or keys.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek
dango Likes This 
Old 06-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #10

I will practice different scenarios when I'm feeling ok; ex: dropping one crutch and balancing when one leg and another crutch, or not being able to use a certain body part, switching hands, etc. I will also get snap caps to practice also dry drawing/firing.
dango Likes This