S&W Model 60 Safe To Load All 5 Chambers?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > S&W Model 60 Safe To Load All 5 Chambers??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8704 Times on 5034 Posts
Likes Given: 11311

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Just a throwback to the days of "5 beans in the wheel". Many old timers felt safer that way because it was pounded into their heads by their fathers and grandfathers.
Dad was the first generation of German immigrants, so my grandparents did not (were not allowed) to own guns when he was a child, this was the first gun owned in my family in the US, so there were no preconceptions like that. Dad bought the gun in 1987 I think, well after both his parents had passed on. He may have been advised to leave one empty by the gun store where he purchased it.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 503 Times on 302 Posts
Likes Given: 233

It's safe to load all 5 in the S&W Chief. People are confusing double actions with the old single actions. I can't believe there's still confusion about this. My Colt DS, which is a 6 shot, is the same as the smith that we carried in the PD for years.

Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 8704 Times on 5034 Posts
Likes Given: 11311

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoke11 View Post
It's safe to load all 5 in the S&W Chief. People are confusing double actions with the old single actions. I can't believe there's still confusion about this. My Colt DS, which is a 6 shot, is the same as the smith that we carried in the PD for years.
Thanks Gunsmoke, what made me question it was the hammer. It looks like the pin on the hammer can contact the primer when the hammer is down, but that is not the case. I do not have any older Smiths so I am not familiar with their hammer safety/striking design. It appears from the description that Trip gave that it is pretty much the opposite of how Ruger did it, where Ruger extends the cross-bar safety up where it comes into line with the firing pin, Smith places the safety where it prevents contact unless the trigger is pulles thereby pulling the safety out of the way.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 2947 Times on 1534 Posts
Likes Given: 262

S&W never used a "transfer bar". The later ones used a hammer block. This is a secondary safety mechanism. The hammer to rebound connection is the primary. Even the old ones were far safer than the single action Colts.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball