S&W Handgun Technique Course

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > S&W Handgun Technique Course

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default S&W Handgun Technique Course

Over the weekend I went up the Smith and Wesson in Springfield, MA and took the Handgun Technique course which is their "gateway" course to take any of their more advanced courses.

I have to say I was very impressed by the facility and the quality of the instruction, and at the end of the course all of the "students" were asked to critique the course and everybody else felt the same (some were novices and others were "veteran" shooters with many years of experience).

It was an all day course. Half the day was classroom and the other half was at the range. The course topics were; holster work, pivoting, lateral movement while shooting, mag changes, and point shooting. We shot about 150 rounds and did a lot of dry firing too.

I would highly recommend checking out the courses up there to anybody in the New England area that is looking to advance their skills. (BTW, I have no affiliation with them, I'm just a dentist in CT)

Here's a link to their website: Shooting Sports Center, Springfield Massachusetts | Smith & Wesson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-15-2009, 03:38 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
Over the weekend I went up the Smith and Wesson in Springfield, MA and took the Handgun Technique course which is their "gateway" course to take any of their more advanced courses.

I have to say I was very impressed by the facility and the quality of the instruction, and at the end of the course all of the "students" were asked to critique the course and everybody else felt the same (some were novices and others were "veteran" shooters with many years of experience).

It was an all day course. Half the day was classroom and the other half was at the range. The course topics were; holster work, pivoting, lateral movement while shooting, mag changes, and point shooting. We shot about 150 rounds and did a lot of dry firing too.

I would highly recommend checking out the courses up there to anybody in the New England area that is looking to advance their skills. (BTW, I have no affiliation with them, I'm just a dentist in CT)

Here's a link to their website: Shooting Sports Center, Springfield Massachusetts | Smith & Wesson

Congrats Doc! Welcome to the introductions of real SD shooting tactics. Sounds like they have a very good course curriculum. The advance classes are very hands-on informative and very educational as well.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 12-15-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sounds good Doc, glad you enjoyed it.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I would expect nothing less from my beloved S&W team. They always find the competant, personable instuctors. Their staff is chock full of people I would like to have over for dinner. I wish I could say the same of a few other manufacturers who seem to employ transparently camoflaged aZZ holes.

Congrats. I'm sure you will go back for more training now.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball