You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Right handed Left Eye dominat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 08:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm right handed/left eye. 63 yrs old and doing fine. I've shot rifles and shotguns left handed all my life and am pretty good at it. Use both eyes with a shotgun and only left eye with rifles.
With the handgun, I do not extend my arms completely and pull down on my left elbow. This lines the sights up with my left eye and it works for me. I shoot a XD mostly but do fine with all handguns.
BTW, I shoot pool left handed too. Lines up the stick over the good eye.

Old 11-21-2010, 04:16 PM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4858 Times on 2307 Posts
Likes Given: 2376

As has been mentioned earlier. Using a rifle and scope it should not matter which eye is dominant as long as you close the other eye while shooting. I am right eye dominant and can shoot the rifle both left and right. Had to work a little on doing it left handed. Our son is right handed and left eye dominant. He chose to learn to shoot the rifle left handed and that was fine. Just took a little time to train the muscles on the opposite side. He shoots exceptionally well left handed. Of course he can also shoot right side also. Except for pistol shooting where using the dominant eye is a necessity.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:03 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1933 Times on 1370 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Quick eye Test!!

You don't need an Eye Dr. or some one else to tell you which eye is dominant. This is what I learned a long time ago. Interlock your fingers, Cross your thumbs. Now with your left eye closed, point your index fingers at a small object on the wall. Open your left eye. Are you still on target. Do the same with your right eye. When I aim with my left eye and right eye closed I'm 6" off target at 10'. Simple test, and will save you a lot of Ammo.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:49 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Right handed and shoot left with no problem except trigger safeties are set up for righties.. Look for firearms with tang safeties. My 10 22 now has a left hand safety
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have the same problem right handed left eye. I used to be big Trap and Skeet.
I would put a piece of scotch tape over my left eye. this helped a lot.

For those who say just shoot left handed, gimmie a break. Do you know how hard it is. I cant even figure out how to hold the weapon properly. I guess you are using a rifle on a rest and are basically just looking down the scope and are pulling the trigger, maybe...but off hand, forget about it.

Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 AM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat4sti View Post
I have the same problem right handed left eye. I used to be big Trap and Skeet.
I would put a piece of scotch tape over my left eye. this helped a lot.

For those who say just shoot left handed, gimmie a break. Do you know how hard it is. I cant even figure out how to hold the weapon properly. I guess you are using a rifle on a rest and are basically just looking down the scope and are pulling the trigger, maybe...but off hand, forget about it.

Yeah it's hard - but not impossible. For me shooting right handed felt as abnormal as hell to start with, but a using a right handed bolt action lefty would have been crazy difficult, particulary with rapids...and I didn't have the luxury of time to 'train' my left eye to become dominant in any case. Have no option but to shoot offhand and in all other positions as well.

I also think some people are more eye-dominant than others; I can barely open my left at all when shutting the dominant right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 11-24-2010, 01:10 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When I started to shoot as a youngster, I felt awkward holding the rifle in either hand. At the time I didn't know about eye dominance. I reasoned that I should hold the "heavy" rifle in my more educated and stronger hand and pull the trigger with my weak hand.
Being left eye dominance it worked out great.
I can use a right handed bolt action WITHOUT a scope but forget it with a scope. There are lefty bolts out there.
Having said that I have trained myself to shoot a handgun right handed BUT I MUST close my left eye.
All persons present in uniform should render the military salute. Members of the armed forces and veterans who are present but not in uniform may render the military salute. All other persons present should face the flag and stand at attention with their right hand over the heart, or if applicable, remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:08 PM   #28

Liked 5017 Times on 2431 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Shooting scoped rifles with the dominant eye is a matter of preference until you try to hunt moving game in open timber. The difference between filling your white tail tag in the Spokane area or going home with no meat and less bullets can usually be traced back to this issue.

The ability to keep both eyes open and track an animal with your cross hairs superimposed on the target is essential when your quarry is on the move in the woods.

This is only possible if your looking down the glass with the dominant eye. Try it with the other eye and all you'll see is the side of your scope.

TACK