Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Right handed Left Eye dominat? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/right-handed-left-eye-dominat-30995/)

Redarrow18 08-28-2010 05:24 AM

Right handed Left Eye dominat?

So i was shooting today and my dads friend pointed out that i was looking down the scope with my left eye and that i was cocked over the center of the rifle to look with it, but i am a right handed shooter. it felt comfortable and didnt have any seeing problems, but should i still switch to my right eye?

IGETEVEN 08-28-2010 05:56 AM

Other than someone pointing this out, does it affect your shooting and sighting in any way? Is it comfortable and accurate for you?

Don't fix it if it ain't broken IMHO. Altering some dominate eye sighting problems can affect one's shooting for awhile, but training the weak eye or using both for sighting can be useful and beneficial in the long run, just as shooting and training with one's non-dominate shooting hand or shoulder.

Nothing is ever quite text book in any given situation, any advantage of additional shooting tactics, could more likely than not, alter an outcome greater in one's favor.

Ubergopher 08-28-2010 09:07 AM

Sounds like it's time to become proficient shooting left AND right handed.

AusLach 08-28-2010 10:18 AM

This isn't the study I'm referencing, but I can't find it at the moment so this'll have to do..

Although it probably won’t make much difference until you start using a rifle that really kicks, I would thoroughly recommend changing your grip to accommodate for your dominant eye. Apart from the fact that you could injure yourself by not holding the rifle properly, there has been research done that says a shooter is more accurate when using their dominant eye once that they are used to holding the firearm using the corresponding hand/shoulder.

Association between eye dominance and training for rifle marksmanship : a pilot study

The study that I'm thinking of gathered 120 experienced shooters who held the rifle to their right shoulder but were left eye dominant or vice versa. Half were given a week of professional training to hold the rifle properly and use their dominant eye while the other half still received professional training, but continued to hold the rifle as they had been. Guess who showed the most improvement??

I'm pretty sure the study said that a competent shooter would only need a couple of weeks to vastly improve on their previous performance once they changed grips, and for beginners only a few days.

Another thing, are you sure that your left eye is dominant? Just because you prefer to use your left eye does not make it dominant, maybe you're just not used to using your right! Find out how to find your dominant eye here

Redarrow18 08-28-2010 02:10 PM

yep my left eye is dominant, even the eye doctor said that the left is better than the right

i only had real problems with it when i was laying down, when i was kneeling or standing it was fine, and i was shooting a 30-06

jetgirl 08-28-2010 02:55 PM

If you're cross dominant it's easier to re-train muscle memory in your hands than it is to try to make a weak eye dominant. I'm in the camp that says "learn to shoot left-handed".
I've got someone in my family struggling with the same thing currently, but it can be done and it's in your best interest. :)

mach1337 09-01-2010 03:07 PM

not uncommon. my dad is right handed but left eye dominant. he shoots lefty tho and seems no matter how much we shoot he will always be a better shot. he does have 30+years of experience on me.

cmhill 09-01-2010 03:27 PM

im not to sure on the rifle but i know when shooting sporting clays, skeet , etc. we will take the shooter and place a strip of scotch tape over the lense on the dom. eye which somewhat blurs the vision in the dom eye and forces the shooter to use the other eye

Squirrel_Slayer 09-01-2010 03:33 PM

I'm the same way, left dominant and shoot right handed. I just have to close my left eye when I shoot.

PTsouthpaw 09-01-2010 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Redarrow18 (Post 339931)
So i was shooting today and my dads friend pointed out that i was looking down the scope with my left eye and that i was cocked over the center of the rifle to look with it, but i am a right handed shooter. it felt comfortable and didnt have any seeing problems, but should i still switch to my right eye?

I am also right handed, left eye dominant. This was discovered when i got my first scoped hunting rifle, as it became apparent (in the same way it did to you) that i was aiming with my left eye. My mother's uncle, a gunsmith, noticed it when i held up my new rifle he had just mounted the scope on to see if it was in a good spot. He recommended that i learn to shoot left handed. I have shot left handed since then. It became natural rather quickly to hold my rifles left handed, and it is definitely more comfortable to line up on the correct side.