Ricochets - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Ricochets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

It happens, I've wound up with small "splash back" holes in a cigarette I was smoking while watching another shooter, have had them hit off leg, face, we ALWAYS wear the eyes at the range. I think I can count 4 times during all my shooting it's happened...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 12-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts

A friend and I were out plinking with .22s, I shot the brass coupling on an old 1" water hose and the round bounced back and hit me in the forehead. Luckily it didn't break the skin but that was the last time I took a shot at that.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 PM   #13

.22 snakeshot is very deflective, but that's no surprise, being so small and low-velocity. It seems that almost all of it bounces back and if you're close enough at least a few of those little pellets are gonna hit you in the face. Stings.

Old 12-26-2011, 09:16 PM   #14

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

The smaller the projectile with a high energy level against the hardest surfaces means very little ricochet risk,a larger heavier projectile with a low energy level against a softer hard material(ie:a tree)means a high ricochet risk.Why?Lots of energy on a small projectile will destroy the projectile so there's nothing to deflect,as where low energy on a big projectile means theres alot of mass still intact to deflect.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 12-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6573 Times on 3638 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Trust me, ricochet is real, easily happens, and hurts like hell. I was out shooting an old bb gun several years ago and one of the bbs hit a rock and came back at me and hit me in the neck. Needless to say, I was rolling around on the ground soon after with a large, bloody welt on the side my neck. If it had been an actual rifle, I may not be here today. Moral of the story, know what you're shooting at and make sure you hit it.

Old 12-29-2011, 06:50 PM   #16

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Trust me, ricochet is real and common!

When I first put up my "bullet trap" ( made from old conveyor belting ) I had the belting perpendicular to the line of fire. On days below about 40F the 22s would come straight back at you. After a NRA Range Development course I learned to angle the belting 15 degrees toward the center of the range and the ricochet will find its way behind adjoining belting and be collected with the rest of the lead.

I have removed all steel targets from my range and have been using ice targets to give the instant recognition of a hit.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #17

My wife was shooting her Bersa Thunder in .380, and I was standing behind her, just off to her left. She was shooting at a piece of seasoned apple wood, and hit it dead center. A ricochet came straight back and hit me in the throat! The slug, deformed a little, now sits on my key-chain..

Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #18

Liked 257 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
Trust me, ricochet is real, easily happens, and hurts like hell. I was out shooting an old bb gun several years ago and one of the bbs hit a rock and came back at me and hit me in the neck. Needless to say, I was rolling around on the ground soon after with a large, bloody welt on the side my neck. If it had been an actual rifle, I may not be here today. Moral of the story, know what you're shooting at and make sure you hit it.
That is why we never shot BB's. They are steel and bounce like crazy.
Much safer to use lead pellets. I try to steer people clear of using BB's.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:58 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
That is why we never shot BB's. They are steel and bounce like crazy.
Much safer to use lead pellets. I try to steer people clear of using BB's.
I know from first hand exp that bb guns have a high rate of of ricochet. Thats why when we shoot we all wear safety glasses and make darn sure that what we shoot will be soft enough to penetrate with out defeleting the bb. With that being said we still have had a couple bounce back and we just try to be as safe as possible so it doesnt happen.

Thats all you can really do try and be safe look at what your shooting know what your shooting and whats behind your targets that will cut down on ricochets.

Posted by cddbrowns
All you young whipper snappers and your new fangled doo dads have no clue what real construction is.......GET OFF MY LAWN!

“The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory.”
Jeff Cooper

Old 01-02-2012, 11:56 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 546 Posts
Likes Given: 202

Friend of mine was shooting bowling pins and took one in the arm. I've had .22 pieces hit me in the forehead, cheek, and arm. Not hard enough to do any damage, but enough to remind me why I wear glasses.