Ricochets
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Ricochets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 06:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ricochets

I am very skeptical of ricochets. Unless a bullet hits a perfectly curved object at the correct angle, I doubt it's going to change directions. I would think that a bullet is going to keep traveling in the same direction until it grinds to a halt. Perhaps it might even keep grinding along the surface of an object due to its inertia vs its inability to penetrate, but I don't think it's possible for a bullet to hit something and literally deflect in a reverse direction at terminal velocity. I've even heard the same from former Navy SEAL friends of the family. Does anyone have any definitive proof of a deflecting ricochet, or lack thereof?

I also believe that a lot of the incidents labeled "ricochet" accidents were probably exaggerated. Perhaps the bullet itself exploded on impact and shrapnel flew off. Or maybe someone accidentally just shot someone plain and simple and blamed it on a ricochet to get out of trouble. What do you think?

Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-26-2011, 06:52 AM   #2

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Standby for a youtube video, soon as I can get the computer away from my wife.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:58 AM   #3

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Here you go. Still skeptical? I've also seen my squad leader catch a 5.56 ricochet in the bicep while serving as a coach on a zero range. He was prone right next to the shooter he was working with, me. Unfortunately I don't have a video of that one, but fortunately it was a very superficial injury, the bullet was plucked out with a pair of tweezers, he got one stitch to hold it closed, and went on about his business.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9164 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

No, it is not hitting a curved surface. It is hitting a hard surface at an angle- you get a hell of a ricochet with angle of 45 degrees or less. You can get ricochets off of water as well.

To get one coming right back atcha, it has to bounce more than once. Yes. it happens.

And some of us were taught to USE ricochets to bounce rounds beyond a barrier.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Last edited by c3shooter; 12-26-2011 at 08:15 AM.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

I have ben hit by rounds striking a steel target and bouncing back. 13 times it has happened to me. 12 times body armor stopped the bullet. One hit my left bicep and just broke the skin. I also had a .380 bullet bounce back off a steel fence post and wizz by my head. I sold that little gun as it was TOO accurate.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #6

Very interesting. Once when shooting my M98 mauser I noticed some of the foilage to my far left / rear being disturbed. I always wondered if it was a ricochet. Perhaps it was. Just doesn't seem possible for something moving that fast to completely reverse direction.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2865 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Generally speaking the force involved in stopping the bullet against a hard object will also shatter the bullet. The stuff that returns to the shooter's area would more appropriately be called splash back. Very low velocity bullets may stay intact during the stop/reverse direction cycle. A very rigid steel target is likely to cause the bullet to fragment. A slightly wobbly steel target allows the bullet to flatten to some degree, yet stay intact and bounce back.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #8

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I have ben hit by rounds striking a steel target and bouncing back. 13 times it has happened to me. 12 times body armor stopped the bullet. One hit my left bicep and just broke the skin. I also had a .380 bullet bounce back off a steel fence post and wizz by my head. I sold that little gun as it was TOO accurate.
My buddy hasnt been hit that many times but has taken 2 ricochets one from a .38 and one from a .357 one in the arm and one about 2" from his nuts, shooting steel plate targets and also shooting 1/2" bullet proof material during a test with the .357 , Neither of which broke the skin but left a couple nice bruises

Last edited by purehavoc; 12-26-2011 at 10:51 AM.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #9

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Had a richochet land in my buddy's truck, 30 cal steelcore, shooter 20 feet to our right was shooting his mosin at rocks. He may still have the bullet layin' around.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 12-26-2011, 01:51 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

I found out the hard way one should never shoot old tires with a firearm. My best friend and i were shooting an old tire behind my house around 1988 with my colt sp1 a round bounced right back and hit the magazine in the rifle ruining it. Still got the rifle.

When clearing rooms you should never stay against a wall as bullets will travel about 1-2 feet out from the walls around a room. While your own fired rounds wont have enough energy to make it full circle a badguy's or one from your buddy's weapon will have just enough energy after one or two bounces to hurt you.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...