Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Ricochets (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/ricochets-54163/)

triggernomic 12-26-2011 06:47 AM

Ricochets

I am very skeptical of ricochets. Unless a bullet hits a perfectly curved object at the correct angle, I doubt it's going to change directions. I would think that a bullet is going to keep traveling in the same direction until it grinds to a halt. Perhaps it might even keep grinding along the surface of an object due to its inertia vs its inability to penetrate, but I don't think it's possible for a bullet to hit something and literally deflect in a reverse direction at terminal velocity. I've even heard the same from former Navy SEAL friends of the family. Does anyone have any definitive proof of a deflecting ricochet, or lack thereof?

I also believe that a lot of the incidents labeled "ricochet" accidents were probably exaggerated. Perhaps the bullet itself exploded on impact and shrapnel flew off. Or maybe someone accidentally just shot someone plain and simple and blamed it on a ricochet to get out of trouble. What do you think?

Thanks

trip286 12-26-2011 06:52 AM

Standby for a youtube video, soon as I can get the computer away from my wife.

trip286 12-26-2011 06:58 AM

Here you go. Still skeptical? I've also seen my squad leader catch a 5.56 ricochet in the bicep while serving as a coach on a zero range. He was prone right next to the shooter he was working with, me. Unfortunately I don't have a video of that one, but fortunately it was a very superficial injury, the bullet was plucked out with a pair of tweezers, he got one stitch to hold it closed, and went on about his business.

c3shooter 12-26-2011 08:12 AM

No, it is not hitting a curved surface. It is hitting a hard surface at an angle- you get a hell of a ricochet with angle of 45 degrees or less. You can get ricochets off of water as well.

To get one coming right back atcha, it has to bounce more than once. Yes. it happens.

And some of us were taught to USE ricochets to bounce rounds beyond a barrier.

robocop10mm 12-26-2011 08:25 AM

I have ben hit by rounds striking a steel target and bouncing back. 13 times it has happened to me. 12 times body armor stopped the bullet. One hit my left bicep and just broke the skin. I also had a .380 bullet bounce back off a steel fence post and wizz by my head. I sold that little gun as it was TOO accurate.

triggernomic 12-26-2011 08:29 AM

Very interesting. Once when shooting my M98 mauser I noticed some of the foilage to my far left / rear being disturbed. I always wondered if it was a ricochet. Perhaps it was. Just doesn't seem possible for something moving that fast to completely reverse direction.

robocop10mm 12-26-2011 10:05 AM

Generally speaking the force involved in stopping the bullet against a hard object will also shatter the bullet. The stuff that returns to the shooter's area would more appropriately be called splash back. Very low velocity bullets may stay intact during the stop/reverse direction cycle. A very rigid steel target is likely to cause the bullet to fragment. A slightly wobbly steel target allows the bullet to flatten to some degree, yet stay intact and bounce back.

purehavoc 12-26-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 659962)
I have ben hit by rounds striking a steel target and bouncing back. 13 times it has happened to me. 12 times body armor stopped the bullet. One hit my left bicep and just broke the skin. I also had a .380 bullet bounce back off a steel fence post and wizz by my head. I sold that little gun as it was TOO accurate.

My buddy hasnt been hit that many times but has taken 2 ricochets one from a .38 and one from a .357 one in the arm and one about 2" from his nuts, shooting steel plate targets and also shooting 1/2" bullet proof material during a test with the .357 , Neither of which broke the skin but left a couple nice bruises

pagj17 12-26-2011 10:54 AM

Had a richochet land in my buddy's truck, 30 cal steelcore, shooter 20 feet to our right was shooting his mosin at rocks. He may still have the bullet layin' around.

JonM 12-26-2011 01:51 PM

I found out the hard way one should never shoot old tires with a firearm. My best friend and i were shooting an old tire behind my house around 1988 with my colt sp1 a round bounced right back and hit the magazine in the rifle ruining it. Still got the rifle.

When clearing rooms you should never stay against a wall as bullets will travel about 1-2 feet out from the walls around a room. While your own fired rounds wont have enough energy to make it full circle a badguy's or one from your buddy's weapon will have just enough energy after one or two bounces to hurt you.