Recoil - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 01:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

You can add a spacer and a recoil pad to any rifle. For the price of $50, and a couple of hours time, you can prevent scope bite.

Shooting at angles, shooting from kneeling, shooting from prone, shooting from an off hand position, all can be done safely, all can be done correctly and all can be done without getting scope bit.

If you got scope bit, and you were "in the field", then there were a couple of reasons it happened. One of which was, your rifle does not fit you properly.

And just being "in the field" is not an excuse, it's a condition that is part of taking the shot.

If you hunch the stock, and stick it in your armpit instead of your shoulder, getting your face closer to the scope, because you don't want to risk moving and spooking something, then you are buying into that condition prior to the shot.

Old 09-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

been shooting for a long time. I have shot 45-70 lever guns with side mount scopes that would have cut your eye out if you got some scope bite. Never once ever have I had scope bite.

I gotta disagree with you on that one skull.....

Old 09-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #13

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
A couple of thoughts for you.

Pachmyer Decelerator Recoil Pad

Muzzle Break

That will tame your recoil to something much more managable...

JD
Id save the muzzle brake for the bench-try to avoid using for a hunting rifle. Ask me how I know--just ask really loud.
Agree with a good recoil pad. Even my fathers 06 will bruise your shoulder after 15-20 rds bench with its hard plastic pad.
I bought a Simms slip on pad a while back. Use it on rifles such as my 35 whelen for bench work during load development. Dont really have to use it but makes for much more comfortable lengthy range sessions. I take it off for hunting.
Also a good cheek weld will keep you from getting scope bit, I like my scopes mounted low for this reason----.02 Ken