Reading material to help me learn....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Reading material to help me learn....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

Default Reading material to help me learn....

Tango mention in a different thread that he gets some hunting magazines. It got me to thinking that maybe I could learn more about guns by reading some magazines. I don't hunt and I doubt I ever will but I would like to maybe get a magazine or two every month to browze through and read. Can anyone suggest what magazines or books might be some good reading for someone very new to guns and wanting to learn about the different types of guns? I don't want anything too technical as I don't want to get frustrated. Would Guns and Ammo be a good one to start with? I could probably go and buy a single issue and see if it suits my needs. But I would like some suggestions, too, from those of you who have walked this path before me. Thank you.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3115 Times on 1790 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

WoC, there are a lot of magazines out there. I hate to give "it depends" answers, but there is a mag to cover almost any specific topic.

Head to the local Barnes and Noble, or Books-a-Million, and check out their offerings.
Sometimes you can get a 1 year subscription at a low price.

Guns and Ammo is a good start, I enjoy the American Handgunner, Combat Handguns, and a few others.

(But don't think of the articles written as the final word. Some "flash in the pan" firearms some writers have thought were the greatest, have disappeared.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-20-2011, 06:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Winds, are you a member of the NRA or the GOA? If you join the NRA, you'll receive a monthly magazine. You can choose a Second Amendment type of magazine or "American Rifleman". Choose the "American Rifleman". Despite the name, it covers handguns and shotguns as well. There's updates on 2A issues and other related legislation, history and a bunch of other good stuff.

You'll learn and help support the Second Amendment while you're at it.

GOA/Gun Owners of America is another good organization to join to support our freedoms.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really like shotgun news (not just shotguns, really, very few articles are about shotguns) its got really good gun reviews and other types of articles and it even has classifieds for any thing abut guns, lots of parts for sale and military surplus.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #5

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

+1 on American Rifleman.

Winds, don't overlook the info found right here on FTF. Wander through the forums and check out the stickies and comments from the members...lots of good objective, fact-based info. Some of the gun mags tend to be somewhat "fanboyish" in their reviews as it increases ad revenue. Another interesting area here is the staff review section.

Happy hunting

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-21-2011, 01:53 AM   #6
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Winds, are you a member of the NRA or the GOA? If you join the NRA, you'll receive a monthly magazine. You can choose a Second Amendment type of magazine or "American Rifleman". Choose the "American Rifleman". Despite the name, it covers handguns and shotguns as well. There's updates on 2A issues and other related legislation, history and a bunch of other good stuff.

You'll learn and help support the Second Amendment while you're at it.

GOA/Gun Owners of America is another good organization to join to support our freedoms.
I don't belong to any of those organizations but I will look into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
+1 on American Rifleman.

Winds, don't overlook the info found right here on FTF. Wander through the forums and check out the stickies and comments from the members...lots of good objective, fact-based info. Some of the gun mags tend to be somewhat "fanboyish" in their reviews as it increases ad revenue. Another interesting area here is the staff review section.

Happy hunting
Of course I don't overlook FTF. I'm on this forum more hours in a day than I care to admit. But I'd like a magazine or book that I can carry with me.

I like Dan's suggestion to go to a book store and just browse the magazine section. I never thought of that and I think that's what I'll do. I'll see what's there, pick one or two out and if I like them I'll buy a subscription.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Winds, join the NRA and the GOA and help us fight for our 2A rights and you'll get an excellent magazine too. We need everybody's commitment.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams