Range safety and design - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Range safety and design

View Poll Results: Range safe or not
Safe 10 38.46%
Not safe 16 61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

That is a nice range there, just a little far for me to go to just to shoot. What is the Max distance of your rifle range?

Old 06-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #12

Currently they're at 300 yards. We allow anything up to but NOT including 50 BMG. Guests have to use tubes for shooting and members have to qualify to shoot rifles outside of the tubes. It's an insurance thing. I'm still working on my rifle qualification. Went out this morning and just kept missing it by 1 shot. Got my pistol done last week.

I really like it out there so far. Everyone's really friendly, there's many knowledgeable range officers (mostly older guys, many retired ex-marines). One guy in particular has straightened out my pistol in about two clips.

If you ever want to visit, just let me know. It's $10 dollars a day for quests.

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Old 06-27-2009, 09:25 PM   #13

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Thanks for the invite and if I ever get the money to head that way I'll give you a tell and we can do some shooting

Old 06-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #14

Liked 314 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Just for grins, here's a link for the range where I'm a member. It's one of the nicest ranges I've ever seen:

Home
I'm a member here also. Started going there in 1994. I was just there last Saturday.
I've been to the range in Lincon (It sucks), Been to the range in Rancho Cordova, next to Mather off Douglas Rd. and Sunrise (It really sucks)

Old 06-28-2009, 02:42 AM   #15

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
If I cannot see the range it is not safe for me to shoot
+1 I agree.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:50 AM   #16
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How often do you shoot or hunt in a seated position? Sounds like a range set up for paper snipers. Find a better range.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I belong to the Zia Gun Club. Very nice range with very strict safety rules, Not to the point that you can't enjoy yourself but you don't have to constantly watch out for idiots. We have several ranges from 10 yard "plinking" to 600 meter High Power. A much beter area than the public range. I would recomend anyone in the Albuquerque area to take the time to inroll in the orientation and safety class and become a member (must be an active NRA member but you can join during the class).

Article II: A Well Regulated Militia, Being Necessary To The Security Of A Free State, The Right Of The People To Keep And Bear Arms, Shall Not Be Infringed.

Article IV: The Right Of The People To Be Secure In There Persons, Houses, Papers, And Effects, Against Unreasonable Search And Seizures, Shall Not Be Violated, And No Warants Shall Issue, But Upon Probable Cause, Supported By Oath Or Affirmation, And Particulary Describing The Place To Be Searched, And The Persons Or Things To Be Seized.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My range (ANZAC rifle range) is uber-safe as far as strict rules applying. Rifles may only be carried w/o bolts to the mound etc. I can't even handle an unloaded pistol unless I'm just about to fire it, since I haven't undergone the 'Handgun safety training course' yet lol

Rifle range goes out to 600m

Here from the air

The NSW State Govt (aka 'The Mafia') want to seize the entire range & flog it off to private property developers, being prime land worth a sh*tload of $$...and since their mismanagement has landed the state in $1bil of debt...

As the largest range in the Southern Hemisphere, with history dating back to 1850 (my club has a 70+ year history there) well, it kinda stinks really

Last edited by zhuk; 06-29-2009 at 08:24 AM.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:17 PM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I voted before I fully read the post-I thought you was asking if MY range is safe.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

If there are houses 300 yards on the other side of the berm, I wouldnt be shooting there at all.