Range safety and design
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Range safety and design

View Poll Results: Range safe or not
Safe 10 38.46%
Not safe 16 61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 02:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Default Range safety and design

Ok the range I shoot at is in the process of being rebuilt. The front of the firing line cover is so low that you can not see beyond 5 yards unless you are sitting at a bench. To me this seams like a safety hazard as I can not see and clear the range before sitting down to a rifle or kneeling down. Seeing as there is no RSO i really see this as a big safety hazard.

The reason I was given is that we have houses within 300 yards and the president of the club doesn't want anyone shooting over the berm. The low roof line will keep people from shooting over the berm. I dunno.

I am a little upset with the way it was built. The bench tops are not high enough and the seats are to tall. I have to bend way over to shoot which hurts my back. The benches were built with 1/2" pt plywood tops that have in a matter of 3 months all warped so that you have a hard time shooting off of them.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2009, 02:14 AM   #2

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

If I cannot see the range it is not safe for me to shoot

Old 06-27-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I'd find a different range even if I had to drive farther.

In fact, that's what I did. We have a range pretty close by, but it's a similar set up to what you describe. I couldn't even get a decent cheek weld because of the contortions necessary.

Now I drive close to forty minutes, but the range is beautiful, well maintained and well managed.

Pistol range, 100yd, 300yd, 500yd and 1000yd. rifle ranges, .22 silhouette, a Cowboy Town for the SASS folks, IDPA, IPSC, Three Gun ranges and competitions. All the competitions a competitive soul could want and the facilities to do it right.

The Range shop doesn't gouge for ammunition or supplies either.

Go elsewhere, it's not worth it and it's dangerous as well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-27-2009, 03:36 AM   #4

Another reason a lot of ranges keep a low roof like that is to keep people from needing to wear sun glasses. The range I shoot at doesn't have a low roof, but about 10 feet out from the line there is a wall that starts at maybe 7-8 above the ground and goes up for maybe 6 feet to block the sun. Don't know if that is the reason at your range or not though.

-Fred

"Breathe when you can, shoot when you should."
-Rob Leatham

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"Qui desiderat pacem, bellum praeparat; nemo provocare ne offendere audet quem intelliget superiorem esse pugnaturem"

Old 06-27-2009, 05:20 AM   #5

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

I would find another range. The one close to the house is a nice range with nice aminites, just dont have the cash right now for them

Old 06-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
If I cannot see the range it is not safe for me to shoot
Couldnt have said it any better myself.

S.S.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Just for grins, here's a link for the range where I'm a member. It's one of the nicest ranges I've ever seen:

http://www.sacvalley.org/

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #8

It doesn't sound safe to me.

We can't stop here...this is bat country.

Μολὼν λάβε
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Old 06-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #9

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I shoot at Knob Creek gun range which is 15 miles from the house and if you all with bad ranges would just move here to Radcliff Ky. then you to could use Knob Creek gun range.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:54 AM   #10

I actually just joined the Bluegrass Sportsman's League here. Pretty awesome place actually. I'm headed there this morning. I'm going to work on my range qualifications (they require you to pass basic qualification tests before getting full access) and check out the IDPA event they're having today.

Blue Grass Sportsmens League

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446