Range rules - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Range rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius10721 View Post
At an indoor range I go to there is a table about 12 feet behind where everybody shoots. Me and a lot of other shooters load our magazines there but not our guns.
i think that is fine but not an actual gun....

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 01-11-2012, 06:52 PM   #12

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

You need to offer this video ( produced by NSSF and free to the public ) to the range officers. I require all new people to watch it and then I ask questions, everyone must watch again each year ( normally in groups of about 10 ) and it is amasing how much youwill pick up every time you view it!

Introduction to Range Safety and Etiquette - YouTube!

Old 01-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think they are reloading magazines not the gun.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 01-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #14

at the range i go to there is a sieze fire every 20 minutes. now during that sieze fire all guns must have no mags clips or bullets in the gun, and all guns must have a chamber flag inserted,(chamber flag is availible at the shop were you buy the lane fee for a huge price of $1.00 and they ask you if you have one.) and all people must stay out of the red painted zone wich is the firing line. do to the fact that we have to walk down were we shoot to replace or inspect targets. this works very well. i have seen people yell at people to geet them out of the firing line. works great. as the whole loading at a table not aloud. you load were you shoot or you dont load at all.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:33 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 103 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 38

At my local range, they have the rules printed on their brochures and available to everyone. All first time range visitors are handed a copy of the rules to read and sign before they begin.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 AM   #16

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667
You need to offer this video ( produced by NSSF and free to the public ) to the range officers. I require all new people to watch it and then I ask questions, everyone must watch again each year ( normally in groups of about 10 ) and it is amasing how much youwill pick up every time you view it!

Introduction to Range Safety and Etiquette - YouTube!
Good video. They did a very good job explaining things. If I ever take a friend to the range im going to have them watch that.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 AM   #17
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8100

First impresions are everything. If it was me, as soon as the RSO looked at me like I had 2 heads over the request of the range rules, I would have left and not come back. The ranges I go to have the rules posted in atleast 6 places, and that is just in the clubhouse area. They are clear about the rules, and you only get 1 warning before you are ejected. No excuses, No exceptions.

Many years ago, the wife and I went to a trap and skeet range in our area. We left after 1 round due to unsafe practices. In 20 minutes of being there, I had no less than 5 "experienced shooters" point shotguns in my direction. When we asked about speaking with a RSO, we were told "We don't have one. We police ourselves." They do such a knockout job that we will not go back again to say the least.

Another range, this one is the closest to home, was serving beer while members were outside shooting. Guns and alcohol do not mix. Ever! When we noticed shooters going out to the range after downing "one or two." we left. This time never having fired a shot.

Point is you can never be too safe. If the actions of patrons, management, or members concearn you, find a diferent range.Your safety, and the safety of those around you should ALWAYS be the number 1 priority.

Stay safe and enjoy. In the end the call is yours.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 PM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It's not just a problem at public ranges.
I would shoot at the local FOP range where we had a self inflicted fatality last year (St. Augustine - FOP lodge 113). Haven't been back since but then again, I have my own ranges now.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:08 AM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8252 Times on 4766 Posts
Likes Given: 10662

The private range I visit most frequently has a public address system with speakers throughout the range. Every cease fire is announced on the PA, along with the complete script of cease fire rules. This is done without fail every time. Loading of firearms is not allowed except at the shooting bench. All firearms not being handled must be left with the actions open and with magazines removed (when possible) or a flag inserted in the chamber and clearly visible. It is all very clear and violations are dealt with appropriately (meaning honest mistakes like forgetting your targets on the shooting bench and having to retrieve them is a minor and simple thing whereas pointing the firearm in an unsafe direction will be dealt with more firmly.)

I like it there.