Range rules
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Range rules

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Range rules

I am new to firearms, just bought my first pistol. I went to the range closest to my home several times to observe before i went to shoot. I asked for the range rules. And a young man looked at me like i had two heads. This is my personality, i am not particarlly comfortable around a group with firearms yet since i am new. I had to go online and read the range rules. Here is the one that scares me: it states that all weapons are to be left on the firing line, you are to load your weapon there to shoot it. Is this typical? Very few people except me do this. They all carry it back to a table behind to reload, than return with it to the fireing line. Is this typical at ranges? I have not been to enough to know. Do most people read the range rules and follow them? I am basically afraid someone will shoot me walking up to the line with an accidental discharge, might be my new guy range fear but its still there. Tons of kids there renting guns to shoot, i am veteran compared to them. And i am new so you know what i mean. Should i go to another range?

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and your willingness to help someone new to firearms.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #2

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I've never been to ANY range where "handling" of any kind is allowed while someone is downrange of the weapon. Some competitions have a "loading table"...but it is supervised by a RO of some sort. as a matter of fact, at my home range, if you aren't on the line, it HAS to be bagged or holstered.

I'd be leery...and I'm interested to hear some of the others opinions.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #3

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I think that loading at the line is safer than loading at a table behind the line. I also think its safer to leave the guns at the line when walking downrange.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #4

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286
I think that loading at the line is safer than loading at a table behind the line. I also think its safer to leave the guns at the line when walking downrange.
Amen, brother.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:43 AM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

They have this rule at the range I go to. Not really a big deal to me. I know there are a few other rules I've seen some other people break like rapid fire, head shots, and the like. I've been flashed once by a laser sight a couple of guys were looking at on a pistol. I ask them to please be at the line when they did that. If you observe safety issues you need to let the RO or someone in authority know. I'm sure most ranges wouldn't tolerate that behavior. Welcome and good luck.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
I agree.

I'm surprised the range does not have the range rules posted on a board and available for handout.

Rules I appreciate include but are not limited to:

1. No handling of firearms or ammunition during cease fire.
2. No one across the red line during cease fire unless going down range.
3. No entry onto the firing line during cease fire.
4. Insert a Yellow breech flag into the open action and leave it there for the duration of cease fire.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:35 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

To me the flag isn't a big deal unless it's a gun where the action doesn't lock open. I've never seen a range where you can step back from the line to load. the most common range rules around my area are uncase at the line and case at the line. Gun is always pointed down range. During a cease fire no one is aloud at the line and no uncasing during a cease fire. There are a bunch of other rules always but those are the ones my range stresses on.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 01-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #8

Liked 9205 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

These last two posts sounds like very reasonable rules to me.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

and I also agree with they should have the rules posted somewhere. At my range they are posted about every 4th station and next to the sign in sheet. So there is no way you won't see the list at one point.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 01-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #10

Liked 44 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

At an indoor range I go to there is a table about 12 feet behind where everybody shoots. Me and a lot of other shooters load our magazines there but not our guns.