Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Range etiquette? First time shooter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 183 Times on 126 Posts

jtrain-
I don't know where these other forum members shoot but I go to a range full of older sportsmen and I get high-powered rifles pointed at me frequently. A beginner is no more dangerous that an experienced shooter whose only training is, " My dad showed me how ".
As for ettiquette : Don't ask to handle or shoot another shooter's gun. Wait for him to offer. Don't make him have to say " no".
Here is a list of Range Safety Guidelines:

Range Safety Guidelines :

1) Use only aimed fire. Point shooting and hip shooting increase the chance of a wild shot striking the metal target rails, missing the backstops, etc.
2) Shoot only at the targets you put up.
3) When people go downrange to put up targets, announce “ Cold Range” , set your guns down pointed downrange, empty and broken open. Step back from the firing line.
4) Do not handle guns or ammunition while people are downrange.
5) After everyone has returned from downrange, announce “Hot Range”. Remind anyone who has forgotten, to put on eye and ear protection.
6) Anyone is permitted to yell , “Cease Fire !” if he sees a dangerous condition and everyone must obey the command by setting his gun down pointed downrange, loaded or not. Step back from the line. Repeat the “ Cease fire “ command.
7) Guns should be pointed downrange at all times unless holstered or cased. When carrying guns onto or off of the range, keep them pointed in a safe direction ( normally up or down ). Some guns must be pointed upward for cleaning and loading. Never sweep your gun’s muzzle across anyone.
8) Wear a cap or brimmed hat to protect you from hot brass that may be ejected from someone’s semi-automatic firearm.
9) If you bring gun cleaning solvents, bring water with which to flush eyes or skin in case you become exposed to the chemicals.
10) Keep the mood on the firing line serious. Joking and laughing makes neighboring shooters wonder if you are focused on safety. Keep safety in mind at all times.
11) Make sure children understand that shooting is a sport that teaches discipline, patience, respect , appreciation of the outdoors, care of tools, caution with machinery and self-reliance ; that there is no place on a rifle range for a video game mindset or a playground mentality.
12) If you have a misfire, it may be a hang-fire, so wait 30 seconds to see if it cooks off.
13) General Safety Practices Are…All guns are always treated as if they are loaded. To unload a gun for cleaning or storage/transport, remove the magazine if so equipped, lock open the action and visually and physically inspect the chamber and magazine areas . Dry snap only downrange. Use only ammo designed to fit the gun in question. Do not use reloads of questionable quality or origin. Make sure your barrel is unobstructed and dry ( free of grease or oil ). If you are not trained to operate a particular gun, ask someone to show you how it works. Keep your finger off of the trigger and on the frame until on target and ready to fire. Do not re-holster a pistol in a hurry ; go to a ready position, make sure your finger is off the trigger and then re-holster. Cross-draw holsters are not for the range as they require you to sweep the gun unsafely as you draw. Never hand a loaded gun to someone and do not accept a loaded gun being handed to you. If you dry fire at home, aim at a solid exterior wall or sand bucket so you won’t mind if you accidentally fire a shot someday.
14) Treat air guns the same as firearms.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:51 PM   #22

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
jtrain-
I don't know where these other forum members shoot but I go to a range full of older sportsmen and I get high-powered rifles pointed at me frequently. A beginner is no more dangerous that an experienced shooter whose only training is, " My dad showed me how ".
As for ettiquette : Don't ask to handle or shoot another shooter's gun. Wait for him to offer. Don't make him have to say " no".
Here is a list of Range Safety Guidelines:

Range Safety Guidelines :

1) Use only aimed fire. Point shooting and hip shooting increase the chance of a wild shot striking the metal target rails, missing the backstops, etc.
2) Shoot only at the targets you put up.
3) When people go downrange to put up targets, announce “ Cold Range” , set your guns down pointed downrange, empty and broken open. Step back from the firing line.
4) Do not handle guns or ammunition while people are downrange.
5) After everyone has returned from downrange, announce “Hot Range”. Remind anyone who has forgotten, to put on eye and ear protection.
6) Anyone is permitted to yell , “Cease Fire !” if he sees a dangerous condition and everyone must obey the command by setting his gun down pointed downrange, loaded or not. Step back from the line. Repeat the “ Cease fire “ command.
7) Guns should be pointed downrange at all times unless holstered or cased. When carrying guns onto or off of the range, keep them pointed in a safe direction ( normally up or down ). Some guns must be pointed upward for cleaning and loading. Never sweep your gun’s muzzle across anyone.
8) Wear a cap or brimmed hat to protect you from hot brass that may be ejected from someone’s semi-automatic firearm.
9) If you bring gun cleaning solvents, bring water with which to flush eyes or skin in case you become exposed to the chemicals.
10) Keep the mood on the firing line serious. Joking and laughing makes neighboring shooters wonder if you are focused on safety. Keep safety in mind at all times.
11) Make sure children understand that shooting is a sport that teaches discipline, patience, respect , appreciation of the outdoors, care of tools, caution with machinery and self-reliance ; that there is no place on a rifle range for a video game mindset or a playground mentality.
12) If you have a misfire, it may be a hang-fire, so wait 30 seconds to see if it cooks off.
13) General Safety Practices Are…All guns are always treated as if they are loaded. To unload a gun for cleaning or storage/transport, remove the magazine if so equipped, lock open the action and visually and physically inspect the chamber and magazine areas . Dry snap only downrange. Use only ammo designed to fit the gun in question. Do not use reloads of questionable quality or origin. Make sure your barrel is unobstructed and dry ( free of grease or oil ). If you are not trained to operate a particular gun, ask someone to show you how it works. Keep your finger off of the trigger and on the frame until on target and ready to fire. Do not re-holster a pistol in a hurry ; go to a ready position, make sure your finger is off the trigger and then re-holster. Cross-draw holsters are not for the range as they require you to sweep the gun unsafely as you draw. Never hand a loaded gun to someone and do not accept a loaded gun being handed to you. If you dry fire at home, aim at a solid exterior wall or sand bucket so you won’t mind if you accidentally fire a shot someday.
14) Treat air guns the same as firearms.

My god, it's rather frightening to think that people would either not even know of or disobey any of these rules in the first place That would be freakin unnerving...

Nothwithstanding our stupid laws on actual firearms allowed, it makes me all the more glad our training & regulations are so strict...

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 02-18-2010, 04:00 AM   #23

Oh and please make sure your flying brass does not anyone. Empty brass is extremely hot and it will piss off anyone constantly being hit by them.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #24

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer219 View Post
Oh and please make sure your flying brass does not anyone. Empty brass is extremely hot and it will piss off anyone constantly being hit by them.
Don't stand, don't stand, don't stand so close to me.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:44 PM   #25

Some guns just eject pretty far right to the right side

Old 02-18-2010, 02:21 PM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your not smart enough to stay out of the way, I guess your going to get burned.
I stopped wearing shirts with collars while I'm shooting alone or with others. That way the spent brass doesn't get caught and burn your neck. I had this happen when my brass bounced off the partition wall and got stunk between my collar and my neck. Left a fairly decent hickey on my neck and made Mrs. Hunter real suspicious.

Attention females, low cut blouses should not be worn on the firing line for the same reason. Spent brass seems to find a way to enter every nook and cranny.

Just another helpful hint from Hunter Joe that could save your life and your marriage.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post

8. Don't run, jump, or climb with a loaded firearm
Some one forgot to tell the Marines that one...

Any way, First thing I do Every time is find out who the Range Master is, What he sounds like, and OBEY EVERY THING HE SAYS. That is the ONE MOST IMPORTANT rule other muzzle control and trigger dicipline.

"The Tree of Liberty must be watered from time to time with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants."
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

I didn't see much mention on the use of chamber flags. At our range when we are through firing or just want to take a break, we clear the arm, removing the magazine and then insert a yellow chamber flag into the empty chamber. If the rifle is hot, let it cool a bit before inserting the plastic flag.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:47 PM   #29

Lots of good advice here. Just use your head. Also you might want to have someone to teach you some shooting lessons. If you are shooting revolvers make sure you keep your hands away from the cylinders. And make sure you inspect the chambers on semi auto's. Sometimes bullits will be stuck in the chambers even with the slide locked back and magazines out. I make a habbit of looking into the chamber or feeling it if I cannot see into it.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending