Range book
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Range book

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Range book

I started keeping a log book at the pistol range some time ago. A range book makes a lot of sense on the rifle range, but apparently is not really common practice on the pistol range. It's useful for a few reasons, however. I noticed that on some days I was just loading and shooting, and not really following proper technique. Whether it's because I buy ammo in bulk and I stop paying attention to every round (rifle ammo is expensive compared to pistol ammo) or just lack of discipline, it started to worry me. Someone posted on these forums a few months ago that "practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." Sage advice.

Maintaining a log book helped a lot with perfect practice. For one, it forces me to step away from the lane (in a fugurative sense) and really think about what I was doing. For another, it makes it easier to see trends across days and weeks. For example, when I shoot certain types of .40 caliber ammo, I tend to pull my shots high. Now there's a lot of human variation on a day to day basis that cannot be pinned down, but general trends are easier to spot. From a maintenance standpoint, it's also useful. I know how many rounds have gone through each barrel. I know what ammo works with what gun.

Anyhoo, some of the data I capture:
Date, time of day (roughly), Gun, Distance, Ammo, Lane #, number of shots, FTF/FTE, misfeeds and of course shot placement.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2011, 10:24 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2797 Times on 1618 Posts
Likes Given: 1218

For some added info, add outside temperature.
That will affect the performance of ammo.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 06-27-2011, 03:15 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7025 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 8468

I have a log book I keep in my range bag. Not for the details that you keep, though. I just put in the date I went shooting, what range I was at, how many rounds of each caliber I put through my revolver. If I shoot with others and they are kind enough to let me shoot their guns (and they always are) I right down what other guns I've shot, the caliber, a short description (so I can remember which is which) and whether I liked it or not.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I believe I said "Practice makes perfect. But since nobody is perfect why practice?" then some one else said that i might as well kill myself. it was kinda a joke. I think I saw it on a bumper sticker sometime and I just remembered it.