Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Quick shotgun safety question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2010, 06:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Quick shotgun safety question.

Hey guys,

Brand new to the forum. I am a fairly long member of a couple other forums: Optics Talk, D&DH.

Quick question. I am a big rifle and pistol guy. However, I am not a huge shotgun guy. I bought my current shotgun, a Remington 870 12 guage super magnum. (3 1/2) about a year and a half ago just to hunt turkeys. Will be taking it out on Monday for that purpose.

The chamber is 3 1/2 inches, but my turkey loads are only 3 inches. Am I correct in assuming that this will be completely safe, with the only main downside being possibly less of a tight grouping? ie, I won't damage the shotgun or myself right?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by USN_Sam1385; 04-16-2010 at 06:32 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN_Sam1385 View Post
Hey guys,

Brand new to the forum. I am a fairly long member of a couple other forums: Optics Talk, D&DH.

Quick question. I am a big rifle and pistol guy. However, I am not a huge shotgun guy. I bought my current shotgun, a Remington 870 12 guage super magnum. (3 1/2) about a year and a half ago just to hunt turkeys. Will be taking it out on Monday for that purpose.

The chamber is 3 1/2 inches, but my turkey loads are only 3 inches. Am I correct in assuming that this will be completely safe, with the only main downside being possibly less of a tight grouping? ie, I won't damage the shotgun or myself right?

Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the forum.

If the barrel does not say 3-1/2" shells ONLY, the 3" will be fine. I don't think (I could be wrong) that any of the magnum 870's are labeled for 3-1/2" only. In fact, it should be able to shoot 2-3/4", 3" and 3-1/2" shells. For turkey hunting, I doubt you will see much difference in the grouping as your choke tube helps more with that. The difference in the 3" and the 3-1/2" is more in the grouping farther out. For turkey distances, not much of a factor. Good luck in your quest for a big tom!

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Your good to go man. You will also save your shoulder by only shooting the 3" shells. Good luck with the turkey killing. Im taking off Monday for the same reason!

I carry a 1 inch guardrail nut on a loop of 550 cord. Its not whiz-bang tactical, but one shot to the grape, and its coloring books for Christmas.

Advocate For Armed America Because Your Attorney Can Get You Out Of Jail, Not Out Of A Grave.

Old 04-16-2010, 11:19 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8312 Times on 3593 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Safe, Shotshells headspace off the rim. Putting longer shell into shorter chamber bad ju-ju, shorter into longer is OK.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.