Question for all of you veteran's - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Question for all of you veteran's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2013, 07:09 AM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1190 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 509

I haven't heard silence since I was about 17 years old.

Between standing next to jets taking off, sleeping right underneath where they take off and land, and cannons you're going to lose some hearing. From using grinders, needle guns, chain saws and other power tools without hearing protection, you're going to lose some more hearing. Then there's firearms.

My wife complains that I don't hear her, which is true, but after her brain surgery she's pretty deaf now, too, so we're even now. Now she understands.

I have a hard time hearing phone conversations and even with a decent amount of background noise I still hear the ringing in my ears. I've learned to live with it.

I still have my life and I'm still in one piece, which I am very thankful for. Lots of other guys can't say that.

Last edited by kbd512; 06-25-2013 at 07:16 AM.
People Like This 
Old 06-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #62
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8676 Times on 5017 Posts
Likes Given: 11283

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbd512 View Post
I haven't heard silence since I was about 17 years old.

Between standing next to jets taking off, sleeping right underneath where they take off and land, and cannons you're going to lose some hearing. From using grinders, needle guns, chain saws and other power tools without hearing protection, you're going to lose some more hearing. Then there's firearms.

My wife complains that I don't hear her, which is true, but after her brain surgery she's pretty deaf now, too, so we're even now. Now she understands.

I have a hard time hearing phone conversations and even with a decent amount of background noise I still hear the ringing in my ears. I've learned to live with it.

I still have my life and I'm still in one piece, which I am very thankful for. Lots of other guys can't say that.
Man, I don't like my wife at all these days, but if only there were something I could do to get her to really understand what a bitch it is to live with tinnitus and a chronic hearing deficiency.......

It is almost worse than living with her, except that I can change my living situation but I can't change my hearing problems.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
JimRau Likes This 
Old 06-27-2013, 02:44 AM   #63

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Man, I don't like my wife at all these days, but if only there were something I could do to get her to really understand what a bitch it is to live with tinnitus and a chronic hearing deficiency.......

It is almost worse than living with her, except that I can change my living situation but I can't change my hearing problems.
Yeah, my dad always tells me ''Never get married, marriage sucks.''
Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Old 06-27-2013, 02:51 AM   #64
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3042 Times on 1761 Posts
Likes Given: 1884

Getting married to the wrong person sucks! Marrying the right person is one of the greatest blessings a man can experience!!

We are all biodegradable.

Ruger, don't leave home without it.
People Like This 
Old 06-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

On marrage... Choose wisely.

Ringggggggggggggggg. I hear it all the time too.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:24 AM   #66
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8676 Times on 5017 Posts
Likes Given: 11283

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Yeah, my dad always tells me ''Never get married, marriage sucks.''
In this day and age I might be inclined to agree with your dad, but it doesn't always suck for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
Getting married to the wrong person sucks! Marrying the right person is one of the greatest blessings a man can experience!!
Yes, and it was for several years. Then we both started to change I guess. I had a head injury back in '99 and my wife says that is when I changed. But she didn't tell me back then. And now I figure she is going through menopause but she refuses to accept that she may be responsible for some of the change that has been happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towboater View Post
On marrage... Choose wisely.

Ringggggggggggggggg. I hear it all the time too.
I did. At least back 21 years ago it was. Things change sometimes.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:52 PM   #67

Liked 79 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Being divorced three times now, I'll pass on the subject.

I have hearing loss from both service connected experience and after. Most of my service connected hearing loss came from other acoustic trauma than gunfire (although that didn't help.) I rode on helicopters with loud engines and propellers and drove heavy trucks with exhaust stacks rather close to the cab.

Driving a sports car with the windows open probably didn't help my hearing either. And I operate power tools regularly.

I'm not as bad off as some. I'm sixty-three now and can still hold a conversation without hearing aids. Sometimes I do turn the TV up a bit.

Be careful of hearing. Wear hearing protection whenever possible. If anyone gives you guff about it, just smile sweetly and continue. Your significant other won't have to use Drill Instructor Voice to whisper sweet nothings to you.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/