Question for all of you veteran's - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Question for all of you veteran's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 771 Times on 603 Posts

im sorta glad im half deaf. the things said today are sometimes best ignored.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 PM   #52
Weapons Aficianado
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5021 Times on 1716 Posts
Likes Given: 1498

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
You're like Billy Waugh and the energizer bunny. Welcome home twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Ditto! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEagleEars View Post
I spent most every summer from ages seven through twenty-one on the seat of an Allis Chalmers WD-45 doing field work on the family farm. So by the time the Army got my services in '67 my hearing was pretty well shot already; just not bad enough to keep me deferred (and I didn't have a missionary position in France to go to). I really don't remember one bit of total silence during my year in Vietnam except for after one rocket attack that was sorta close (my ears just shut down for a while from the concussion I guess). At no time during basic, AIT, or active duty did anyone mention "ear protection" so I guess there wasn't any. My son was in the Air Force and they would have nailed him if he had ever stepped on the flight line without his muffs on so I guess it's something that matters to the services now. BTW: Threetango; welcome home and thank you, Brother!
Thanks guy's, appreciate your replies.

NSDQ

Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #53

My hearing loss comes from almost 20 years on the flight line even with hearing protection.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #54

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

in the aircraft maintenance world of the USAF, they have really gotten serious about hearing protection and annual hearing tests for those who work the flight lines. now that we know what we do about hearing loss (and how much it costs the VA every year in disability claims) they have really increased the awareness and prevention of hearing loss.

everyone has to wear ear protection when anywhere near running engines.

when I was deployed, anytime I was outside the wire, I had foamies in my ears. they were not so "powerful" that I could not hear people talking around me, but yet offered a degree of protection from loud pressure waves like gunshots, IEDs, etc.

Old 02-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2034 Times on 1395 Posts
Likes Given: 772

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cuda383 View Post
when I was deployed, anytime I was outside the wire, I had foamies in my ears. they were not so "powerful" that I could not hear people talking around me, but yet offered a degree of protection from loud pressure waves like gunshots, IEDs, etc.
Foam ear protection only reduces sounds 30 decibels. I agree foam ear protection is the best option for a man in combat. At a range ear muffs offer much more protection, even the $20 Walmart ear muffs give a shooter 60 decibels of sound reduction. The high end ear muffs offer even more protection while allowing the shooter to hear a child talking. If you are going to shoot a lot at the range or at home invest in the best hearing protection you can afford.

Take it from someone who hears a constant ringing in his ears. Someone who needs a hearing aid to hear the sweet voices of children. A person who avoids crowds in confined spaces because he can't hear a thing. You don't want to end up like me.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-03-2013, 04:24 PM   #56

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Foam ear protection only reduces sounds 30 decibels. I agree foam ear protection is the best option for a man in combat. At a range ear muffs offer much more protection, even the $20 Walmart ear muffs give a shooter 60 decibels of sound reduction. The high end ear muffs offer even more protection while allowing the shooter to hear a child talking. If you are going to shoot a lot at the range or at home invest in the best hearing protection you can afford.

Take it from someone who hears a constant ringing in his ears. Someone who needs a hearing aid to hear the sweet voices of children. A person who avoids crowds in confined spaces because he can't hear a thing. You don't want to end up like me.
Yup. I value my hearing, if I'm mowing the yard, my hearing protection is the form of ear buds with my MP3 player...with the music off, I can hear a noticable drop in volume of the tractor, even though it's just a little 17 horse yard tractor with a pretty decent muffler on it. if I'm working out in the garage on one of the cars, and using something like the angle grinder while fabricating, I put on the hard shell ear muffs. when operating the chainsaw, hard shell ear muffs, log splittler? yup. haha.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:07 AM   #57

Liked 1842 Times on 955 Posts
Likes Given: 1403

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
. . . At a range ear muffs offer much more protection, even the $20 Walmart ear muffs give a shooter 60 decibels of sound reduction. . .
60 NRR? I don't think so.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 PM   #58

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ears ring, back is soar, ass hurts, headaches...who cares...Its a sacrafice. Like other jobs wouldnt cause problems. Rub some dirt on it and get back in the fight.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #59

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Yes....Coast Guard Radioman 2nd vet....between Morse Code dots and dashes in the ears for 8 hours a day on watch, then 5-inch guns, 50 cal machine guns, and mortars going off....yeah...it gets to ya....Im 61 and left ear is down to about 1/2 ....right ear not too bad....but its enough for the wife to get pretty damn upset with me....

Old 06-23-2013, 05:55 AM   #60

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

I miss the days of perfect hearing. I'm right-handed and surprisingly I am almost completely deaf on my left side. Being around so much gunfire in CQB/MOUT contributed to that I think. Also did a stint on the flight line around choppers and F-18s. Glad I still have my 20/15 vision though!!