Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Question for all of you veteran's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdub View Post
I've heard in an intense adrenaline charged situation your body will actually shut down got hearing to where you don't hear the loud noises ie a self defense situtation. I would assume over the length of conflict in war time however it takes its toll.
You might not notice the loud bang during a SD situation, but the damage is still being done. Over the course of time, it will get worse and worse. I have had really poor hearing for quite some time. I attribute it to shooting a lot when I was a kid with no ear protection, being at the drag strip around open headers and going to concerts. I have a really time hearing people if there is any back ground noise.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
Even if you weren't in a fire fight try crawling around under a whining F4. We had hearing protection but it was still very loud. My ears ring constantly.
F-4s are positively tame compared to F-16s. F-16s have a high pitched scream that just sucks. F-15s were only slightly better. I always preferred the lower bass sound of the F-4s.

Don't need to be in a bunch of firefights to have crappy hearing.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Old 09-19-2012, 05:51 PM   #23

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
F-4s are positively tame compared to F-16s. F-16s have a high pitched scream that just sucks. F-15s were only slightly better. I always preferred the lower bass sound of the F-4s.

Don't need to be in a bunch of firefights to have crappy hearing.
You should listen to Harriers when they are in they are doing a vertical takeoff or landing.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:49 PM   #24

Liked 85 Times on 65 Posts

i was tested when i retired with perfect hearing after serving for 10 years in a field artillery battery (never wore earplugs)
lucky, i guess

Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #25

Likes Given: 1

My hearing problems isn't from the guns since I never been to war, only had to use guns in training. My hearing issue is from my job, I used to work on F16's and several times I had to work on a running jet in an emergency fashion and forgot to put on hearing protection before approaching the aircraft. Therefore I have a ringing in the ears from my stupidity lol.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #26

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper762 View Post
i was tested when i retired with perfect hearing after serving for 10 years in a field artillery battery (never wore earplugs)
lucky, i guess
dmn you couldnt pretend ? hearing loss is good for 20-25 % easy you need to get down to the va and be retested

Old 09-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #27

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
dmn you couldnt pretend ? hearing loss is good for 20-25 % easy you need to get down to the va and be retested
I think that's something I need to do cause I'm already recieving a pension on a lower disability percentage which I totally forgot what the number is.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #28
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 833 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

For what it’s worth, many, if not most of us, will lose a good amount of our hearing as we get older anyway. There are an awful lot of women with hearing loss that never worked around jets or heavy machinery. I’m not saying loud noises aren’t a big factor, but genetics and age are equally a major factor.

Also, it’s not only sudden loud bangs that affect your hearing either. All the truck drivers at the sawmill I worked for had hearing loss in their L ears. It comes from riding with the driver’s side window down. The L ear drum gets thicker in response to the constant buffering of air pressure and becomes less responsive to low volume sounds.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #29

I have hearing aids now. 3 deployments, 2 RPGs. One blew-up 18 inches from my head. Hearing aids are great.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:50 AM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

In armor we called them "Tanker Ears". My Army days are well behind me, but the damage is done. I need the white noise of a fan at night to mask the ringing in my ears so I can sleep.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.