Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Question for all of you veteran's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 03:56 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 61 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I have often wondered this as well. I've heard in an intense adrenaline charged situation your body will actually shut down got hearing to where you don't hear the loud noises ie a self defense situtation. I would assume over the length of conflict in war time however it takes its toll.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

I have had a lot of hearing loss. I believe it has more to do with the extended periods of time around loud vehicles and generators than it does to gun fights. I am an 11B with three deployments and prior to my military service I had no hearing loss. Now every time I take a hearing test my right ear shows more loss. My advice is get a good pair pelican comtac 2 head sets and wear them every time u leave the wire.

Old 09-17-2012, 04:10 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2326 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I'm 23, and barely passed a hearing test for
My job. Blame Loud diesels, raging sound systems, chain saws and straight piped v8's.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 890 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
I have been out of the service for 40 years, and my ears have been ringing and deteriorating ever since. Right ear hearing just about gone, left ear close behind. Bombs, bullets, and grenades destroy ear-drums. In a firefight there is no time for earplug insertion, it time for death, yours or theirs. Choose wisely.

There it is. And (for those of us who fought prior to Pelican Comtac 2 headsets ) not only was there no time but in the noise of contact some communication beyond hand signals is usually necessary, regarding target location, casualties or some other kinetic issue.

There's an adrenal effect on the senses when your neurotransmitters start going apesh*t...vision, sense of smell, even hearing becomes extremely acute, the body's way of compensating for and adjusting to the threat of "death, yours or theirs." And that may explain to the OP why ear protection isn't necessary or advisable in combat even though the noise contributes to your future deafness.

If there is an upside, it gives you an excuse for "tuning out."

Last edited by 7point62; 09-19-2012 at 11:05 AM.
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2012, 11:59 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I always wondered, do you vet's have bad hearing from serving? I never knew weather or not you guys have earplugs in during firefights or do you just deal with the loud noise?
Veterans and hard rock fans of the sixties do have audible problems. M16's and the Rolling Stones still ringing in my ears.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #16
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7313 Times on 4246 Posts
Likes Given: 9422

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
I want to join in a few years so I was wondering. I wonder if they have an ear plug verison of these somewhere
http://www.meijer.com/s/pro-ears-pro-300-electronic-hearing-protection-headphones/_/R-169750;jsessionid=AE11C952A54844898618F6729AF7DD3F ?cagpspn=pla&cmpid=Google_G_US_Meijer_eCom_PLA_Spo rting_Goods

put em on before you go out and then you can hear orders and not damage your ears. when i first went shooting I did not use protection for the .22 pistol or rifle but later on i hear a minor ringing. Thats one of the things that worries me is loss of hearing.

Edit: quick Google search showed me these http://www.earplugstore.com/etymotic-gsp-1-electronic-earplugs.html
In addition to the issue of putting the hearing protection on in the first place, there is the issue of battery replacement. The military runs a lot of stuff on batteries and having yet another thing you have to carry batteries for might be a problem. On the same note, those in-the-ear electronic plugs probably use hearing aid batteries which are not only very, very small (but lightweight!) they do not last that long. Ask anyone who wears hearing aids how often they have to change batteries.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:19 PM   #17

Liked 359 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 167

WHAT DID THAT KID SAY? Yep and ringing in the ears all the time is fun too.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #18
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2273 Times on 1359 Posts
Likes Given: 1060

That is the reason I changed the ring tones of our phones.

But it is not just veterans. Check out a bunch of old hunters. Most are deaf or going deaf.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 09-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #19

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 53

a veteran will always have hearing loss its good for up to 20% disability! mine has to from working on large recep aircraft back in the 70s aint got nothing to do with getting old

Old 09-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #20
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4550 Times on 2285 Posts
Likes Given: 4691

Most used earplugs in the army in the 80's, Cigarette butts!