Question about target and training at the range
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Question about target and training at the range

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Default Question about target and training at the range

Hi all. Kind of a novice here. At the range most of the people have their targets at 10 yards, so I've been doing the same with the M9A1. Seems kind of close to me, but I didn't want to be overly ambitious. What kind of yardage should I be able to reliably hit to consider myself 'doing ok'?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1361 Times on 691 Posts
Likes Given: 1015

Nothing wrong with cutting your teeth at 10 yrds when you consider that most real gunfights in the civilian world are that close or closer. You can work your way out to 30 yrds for target practice with the 9, but the object should be the mechanics, i.e. engaging, changing mags, your speed of target acquisition and your overall level of competence. I can take a pistol out to 70 yards, rest the butt, adjust for drop and hit the target...but it's just for fun. Once you feel adept, increase your range. My belief is any time you're shooting live ammo it's good experience...and it only adds to your learning curve when you experiment.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:44 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62
Nothing wrong with cutting your teeth at 10 yrds when you consider that most real gunfights in the civilian world are that close or closer. You can work your way out to 30 yrds for target practice with the 9, but the object should be the mechanics, i.e. engaging, changing mags, your speed of target acquisition and your overall level of competence. I can take a pistol out to 70 yards, rest the butt, adjust for drop and hit the target...but it's just for fun. Once you feel adept, increase your range. My belief is any time you're shooting live ammo it's good experience...and it only adds to your learning curve when you experiment.
Thanks, appreciate the advice!

Old 09-27-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

I like to practice at several different yardages. I start at around 10 yards and "warm up". After that I take it in to maybe 6-8 yards and use my snub nose that I pocket carry. After that I take it out to 25 and switch to another "fun gun". 25 yards is just for fun and to see how I can group and maybe to pick on a buddy if they are with me. We usually go for beers after and the worst group at 25 yards buys the first round.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #5

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I shoot 7, 10, 15, 25 yards most of the time when I'm on the pistol range.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1154 Times on 752 Posts
Likes Given: 691

mostly 15yards or less is good for HD/SD practice. i like to shoot at 25yds to see how i can do. and often it seems to be a fun distance to play with

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.