Quarry training

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Quarry training

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Quarry training

I am in Sherwood Oregon and have noticed some functioning rock quarries in the area. Has anyone ever tried to connect with the owner of one too arrange for weekend training at one before? I am trying to put together a small group too run some drills circa Magpul Dynamics art of the tactical carbine.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8705 Times on 3766 Posts
Likes Given: 1339

First, the liability issues may cause them to say no. And with a functioning mine (and yes, a quarry IS a mine) MSHA has something to say about persons entering the property, and duties of the mine operator.

Second, rock that has been shot and mucked goes to a crusher. They have a magnet to pull "tramp iron" out of the rock, and a jaw crusher does not care what you feed it, but the cone mills that crush the finer grades may not be happy with bullets or brass that gets run thru.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-11-2012, 12:06 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

So could I sign a waver that absolves them of responsibility. Then use a area that is either non mining or that has been used up, what do you think?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:25 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

It's an automatic no if you don't ask. But like c3 said, I wouldn't get my hopes up. Good luck!!

Old 02-11-2012, 04:02 AM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

It's really going to depend on who operates the mine. When I worked for the #2 company in the industry we couldn't even bring firearms onto the property. Now that I work for another company at the same location it is possible to go to areas that are waiting to be reclaimed and do some target shooting. It helps that the property owner is an avid shooter and guides archery and rifle deer hunts as well as upland bird on the property. He has a 300 yard target on an area that is already reclaimed that I can use any time after deer season. I do have MSHA part 46 training so that helps too.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!