Quality Affordable Gun Safe?? - Page 7
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Quality Affordable Gun Safe??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 01:44 PM   #61
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

Yeah I got the idea from the pre-made racks. Lol

Old 05-10-2012, 01:53 PM   #62

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Isnt it funny how they can take a simple cheap item...repurpose it and charge 20x more for it? This is why i dont shop Cabela's much

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

The American way. Lol

Old 05-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #64

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13
The American way. Lol
+1

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:22 PM   #65

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisko09 View Post
Isnt it funny how they can take a simple cheap item...repurpose it and charge 20x more for it? This is why i dont shop Cabela's much.
Cabela's has some really good stuff, and a lot of overpriced crap. The store is so damn big a lot of what they have I regard as "filler". Stuff most hardcore enthusiasts wouldn't touch, but enough people will buy to keep it in stock.

They use to have those MTM shotshell boxes that hold 100 rounds of 12 gauge in a double decker tray arrangement. .50 BMG shooters like them because you can remove one of the trays, and it makes an all but perfect transporter for 50 rounds of .50 BMG. They're not very expensive and work perfectly. I went in there the other day to buy a few and they don't stock them anymore. The guy told me they take up too much space on the floor, and weren't profitable enough. So I had to go special order them from Wal-Mart. Cabela's doesn't have the assortment like they used to. Because of the slow economy they really reserve space for more profitable items.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #66

Liked 1148 Times on 744 Posts
Likes Given: 2039

Bill , I think the manufacturers are talking about the heat expansion on the door gasket as " water proof ". after a fire, and we all know it will be wet when they try to put a fire out . we both know that this isnt going to happen in a flood the gasket will not expand and being water proof is very misperceived by the customer as it needs heat expansion to expand the gasket first . I really like the tool box you got , Thats a damn good idea for the house as I keep most but not all of my guns in my safe in a climate controlled garage. Maybe I could get the wife talked into one of those with a nice setup like your wife has on that one that would make a fabulous place build racks and lay the black guns in cradles in it and in the house where I would need them most

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Bill , I think the manufacturers are talking about the heat expansion on the door gasket as " water proof ". after a fire, and we all know it will be wet when they try to put a fire out . we both know that this isnt going to happen in a flood the gasket will not expand and being water proof is very misperceived by the customer as it needs heat expansion to expand the gasket first . I really like the tool box you got , Thats a damn good idea for the house as I keep most but not all of my guns in my safe in a climate controlled garage. Maybe I could get the wife talked into one of those with a nice setup like your wife has on that one that would make a fabulous place build racks and lay the black guns in cradles in it and in the house where I would need them most
That is another thing I like about the chest type "safes" like the Greenlee and Rigid. They are meant for outdoor use, and they actually are waterproof up to the top where the lid closes. Here in Phoenix flooding from an act of God is all but unheard of except in low lying areas that are prone to flash flooding during storms. But a burst plumbing pipe can happen in any home. Water would have to come over the top to get inside. With all my other safes just a few inches is all it would take to get water inside the safe itself.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
That is another thing I like about the chest type "safes" like the Greenlee and Rigid. They are meant for outdoor use, and they actually are waterproof up to the top where the lid closes. Here in Phoenix flooding from an act of God is all but unheard of except in low lying areas that are prone to flash flooding during storms. But a burst plumbing pipe can happen in any home. Water would have to come over the top to get inside. With all my other safes just a few inches is all it would take to get water inside the safe itself.
Bill , any idea what that thing weights empty ?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Bill , any idea what that thing weights empty ?
I'll guess and say around 150 pounds, 175 tops for the larger ones. My wife and I easily got it from the back of my truck into the house using just a dolly carrying it on end. It has large handles on either side, so once you get it in you can lift and slide it around on carpet quite easily. We used 4 of those "Moving Men" plastic pads underneath. Of course with tile or hardwood floors you would have to be more careful. I placed around 30 bags of shot on the bottom once I got it placed. Between that and the guns it's not going anywhere, handles or no.

My wife ordered the cover from Sportsman's Guide. It was a large couch throw. It works well at "hiding it in plain sight" as they say. She put a lot of nick knacks on it, vases and such so it looks halfway decent. If you put in in a "Man Cave", and were pressed for room, you could even drill holes in the lid and mount loading presses on it. It's sturdy enough, that's for sure. These things have a lot of possibilities, and come in all different sizes so there is one to fit any budget. Home Depot almost always has them in the area between the inside of the store and outside. Usually they have some size on sale. The store manager ordered mine because I wanted the biggest one they had, and they didn't stock it. It came in just 4 days.

I bought 2 Master Boron Carbide Shackle Padlocks that were keyed alike to lock them up. It's a little awkward removing and replacing the locks until you get used to it because the wells where they fit are recessed and you have to do it by feel. After a couple of times it was easy. Just don't try using combination locks!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
I'll guess and say around 150 pounds, 175 tops for the larger ones. My wife and I easily got it from the back of my truck into the house using just a dolly carrying it on end. It has large handles on either side, so once you get it in you can lift and slide it around on carpet quite easily. We used 4 of those "Moving Men" plastic pads underneath. Of course with tile or hardwood floors you would have to be more careful. I placed around 30 bags of shot on the bottom once I got it placed. Between that and the guns it's not going anywhere, handles or no.

My wife ordered the cover from Sportsman's Guide. It was a large couch throw. It works well at "hiding it in plain sight" as they say. She put a lot of nick knacks on it, vases and such so it looks halfway decent. If you put in in a "Man Cave", and were pressed for room, you could even drill holes in the lid and mount loading presses on it. It's sturdy enough, that's for sure. These things have a lot of possibilities, and come in all different sizes so there is one to fit any budget. Home Depot almost always has them in the area between the inside of the store and outside. Usually they have some size on sale. The store manager ordered mine because I wanted the biggest one they had, and they didn't stock it. It came in just 4 days.

I bought 2 Master Boron Carbide Shackle Padlocks that were keyed alike to lock them up. It's a little awkward removing and replacing the locks until you get used to it because the wells where they fit are recessed and you have to do it by feel. After a couple of times it was easy. Just don't try using combination locks!
I have a bunch of the keyed alike Master Lock stainless hockey puck type locks that I think would work well for this type of setup . Man you got me thinkin now . LOL