Quality Affordable Gun Safe?? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Quality Affordable Gun Safe??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 05:28 PM   #51
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

All keyed entry safes. Prices aren't bad though.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:56 AM   #52

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

One thing to consider is putting the word out that you want to buy a used safe. When people move, they often prefer to sell the safe or leave it behind because it is hard and costly to move. If you have some strong friends, a truck and can borrow an appliance dolly, you might be able to get a safe for a low price and have the combination reset . Otherwise, try to trade a gun or two for a safe .

Old 05-10-2012, 03:13 AM   #53

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop
One thing to consider is putting the word out that you want to buy a used safe. When people move, they often prefer to sell the safe or leave it behind because it is hard and costly to move. If you have some strong friends, a truck and can borrow an appliance dolly, you might be able to get a safe for a low price and have the combination reset . Otherwise, try to trade a gun or two for a safe .
Ya i tried.. everyone around here seems to have wooden cabinets as opposed to a safe.. i'm a little more cautious and would prefer the safe.

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:49 AM   #54

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

I have a total of 6 safes that run the total range of price, as well as degree of protection. My Liberty is a top of the line safe with fire protection, as well as automotive type finish. Next is a bare bones Cannon that affords good protection without the fancy features. Also I have 2 Stack-On Models that are bolted to the wall, and also afford good protection.

This is the high end Liberty, showing the inside along with some vinyl covered dish racks my wife obtained from Wal-Mart which I used as pistol racks. They are covered in soft vinyl, and won't damage or scratch any guns placed in them.

This is the lower end Cannon showing it's contents. It offers good protection for a lot of guns at low cost.

These are a couple of Stack-On Models I got on sale. They are fair protection for some of my lower cost arms.

This is one of those Greenlee "On Site" Job Tool Boxes you see for sale at Home Depot and Lowe's that are used extensively at construction sites to store expensive tools in when the contractors are away. It works very well as a gun safe. It has recessed wells for padlocks so you cannot get to them with bolt cutters, or a torch. It also serves as a nice display table for my .50 Caliber Bushmaster .50 BMG rifle when I'm home. I have since purchased a second similar type. I keep the bottom of both lined with 25 pound bags of shot. Several hundred pounds. It gives me a nice place to store it, offers some padding on the bottom, and will quickly administer a double hernia to anyone who tries to lift them.

What I like about the Greenlee Safe is it stores the long guns horizontally and doesn't let the oil run down the bores into the action. These are sold at Home Depot, as well as Lowe's and come in a variety of sizes and different shapes. They are also made by Knaack and other manufacturers. If you like working with wood, and are creative, you could easily make some felt covered, wooden racks to store your weapons in.

These afford good, solid protection at a fair price. I get sick of paying $2,000.00+ for a iron box to keep guns in. These are simply more creative choices out there that serve the purpose.

Don't get caught up in paying a lot for "fire protection". That is a load of crap safe manufacturers try to sell you because it is a high profit item. All "Fire Protection" consists of is a layer of common Sheetrock. It is cheap and easy to install. Insurance statistics show most home burglaries are committed by kids under the age of 16. Most are in the home for less than 2 minutes. "Smash & Grab" type of hits. Any type of safe will protect you from that.

Also remember that no safe is waterproof. Water is the biggest destroyer of property in homes today. In that regard not one single safe in New Orleans protected it's owner. Shop wisely and you will do well. I'm lucky in that my wife doesn't work, and I do only 3 days a week. All of that time someone is home, so I don't worry too much. For those that leave their homes vacant for long periods of time, you might want to up the grade of protection you may require.

The main thing to remember is that thieves look for easy opportunity. Sure anyone with some tools and enough time can break into anything. Most thieves do not bring tools, and spend very little time when burglarizing cookie cutter suburban homes. "Pros", as they are often called, case homes and prepare their burglaries much better. They know how to get around alarm systems, and when to strike. The penalty for breaking into a $250,000.00 home is the same as it is for burglarizing a $900,000.00 one. No safe will protect you from that. Fortunately middle class citizens aren't often the victims of professional burglars. Most are young kids, or dopers desperate for a quick buck.

It is also advisable to make your home look the same when you are home or not. For example I'm the only home owner on my block that parks both of my vehicles in my garage. All of my neighbors have their garages packed with crap, and park their cars in the driveways. On the weekend my block looks like a used car lot. During the week, an abandoned ghost town. These people might just as well put up a sign telling people when they are not home.

Other things you can do is leave lights on in alternating rooms at night, and keep a TV playing in a dark room. The changing light pattern reflecting off the walls from the picture, along with the sound is a dead give away someone is present. I never answer the front door unless I'm expecting someone, or a delivery. 95% of the time it is just a solicitor anyway, or else someone taking a "survey", and wanting money in the process.

My wife and I pretty much keep to ourselves and are not social butterflies. The less people know about you, the better off you are. I just had a supervisor at work have his home burglarized last week. Not to stereotype, but he's a black guy who loves to brag to most anyone who will listen about everything he's got. They are always having people over to show off their new big screen TV, her jewelry, name it. He also takes care of foster kids from time to time. He has a side entrance door to his garage that a couple of kids kicked in unnoticed, and that was that. They were in. He had no security doors on any of his outside entrance doors. He claims to have lost around $25,000.00 worth of belongings. The kids were local, and most likely knew what was in the home before they broke in. Silence is golden when making small talk with the neighbors. The less talk the better. Especially involving guns.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #55

That liberty is pretty nice. That's quite the collection you've got! I'm really digging the .50!

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #56

The Liberty is a nice safe, but a lot of these types are a bit overpriced for the storage space they offer. I'm happy with it overall. Since I purchased it I'm seeing more creative interiors in a lot of safes that can be configured in different ways with modular type of construction to make them more applicable to each person, and better suited to their needs and requirements.

One of the biggest problems I've found with gun safes in general that I didn't mention is that none of them will hold the advertised amount of guns they claim. The reason for this is they almost always put the rows too close to each other when they lay the interior out, front to back. What ends up happening is the scope on the gun in front will hit the trigger guard of the gun behind it. This condition becomes much worse when you start dealing with AR-15's and other black rifles. Their carry handles and pistol grips make the problem even worse. Or else the very high rings most require to mount a scope properly increase the problem. This is why I went with the horizontal storage type. I'm eventually going to do something in the way of making up some staggered horizontal storage racks for them. That will utilize the space much better.

Browning is now offering a "Black Rifle Safe" that is supposedly made specifically for the storage of AR-15 type weapons. I haven't seen one yet so I can't say for sure if they have done anything that would improve the problem. The Cabela's by me moves a lot of safes, and they generally have many on display, but as I said they haven't had one of the new Browning models in yet.

Old 05-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #57

Some weeks back while I was shooting at my local club, a few members of the Phoenix P.D. were there sighting in their rifles and practicing. We struck up a conversation about gun storage and this sort of thing, and they told me something interesting most people, including myself never gave much thought to.

They said nationwide there has been a very large increase in armed home invasions. Here in Phoenix they increasingly occur this time of year, and again in the fall when people tend to keep their doors and windows open because of the modest temperatures. Many of these type of no goods are looking for guns. They can fence them fast, and get good money from street gangs who are always in the market for weapons of most any type, black rifles and handguns especially. No safe is worth a damn when a guy has a gun stuck in your ear demanding you to open it.

Most cops will tell you not to open your doors for anyone you don't know, and to have security doors on all outside entrance doors. Many of these guys plan these types of hits by having a "entrance team" of a couple of guys dressed in suits, and looking professional, while the other people wait in a vehicle parked nearby. Once in and they produce a weapon, and the homeowner is totally at their mercy. As the economy worsens and society deteriorates along with it, these types of crimes are escalating nationwide.

This is even happening in rural areas where many people feel they are safer from this sort of thing. As I said we open our doors for no one we don't know, and always keep a weapon in easy reach, especially at night. It isn't so much a question of being paranoid as much as it is being SAFE.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #58
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

That's funny I made custom pistol racks out of a dish rack too. Plastic coated wire type, right? Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:29 PM   #59

Lol i made a wooden case for mine. (I only have a few). It closes and latches. Burgundy felt on the inside.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:38 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
That's funny I made custom pistol racks out of a dish rack too. Plastic coated wire type, right? Lol
Exactly. I can't take credit for it because it was my wife's idea. She told me about it when we were at Wal-Mart one day. I laughed it off until I took a look at them. They work perfectly, and only ran $1.49 each in the Housewares Dept. They come in an assortment of different sizes. Cabela's and Midway sell similar items designed to serve the same purpose for over $20.00 each and they work no better.