Quality Affordable Gun Safe?? - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Quality Affordable Gun Safe??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #41
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Damn I thought you had found the safe for me. I have a 14 gun safe and it barely holds the 7 long guns in it with a custom rack for 9 hand guns and a pile of more handguns on the floor of it. I need like a 50 gun safe. I have to keep half my guns locked elsewhere and ammo etc locked somewhere else. It's a mess.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:27 PM   #42

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

This is the one I looked at before I landed on the Model T

http://www.championsafe.com/products_trophy.html

It has the "collector" layout

A friend of mine has it, but it was out of my price range...$1200 I think...don't quote me...maybe 1400...

Handguns are pretty easy to stuff away, unless acessability is a priority.

I wanna say he's got 18 long guns in there (again, don't quote me) but it's really crowded. For what he paid, I'd have just gotten 2 Model T's and called it a day.

I'm not pimping the Champion line, it's just what Im familiar with, there are lots of quality safes to be had but for the price it was a good deal for me...

I wish I had your "problem"!!!

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 05-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #43
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I like the input. I've been looking for a while now. Money is an issue for me if it wasn't I'd be building an AR right now. I have explored a lot of options and most places carry the same ridiculously over priced safes.
Accessibility and organization are a must if I'm gonna spend over a grand and I want it to be able to hold enough for it to be protecting atleast 5 times what I paid for it or its a bad investment in my eyes.
But I've been spoiled I paid $50 for my first safe and it came with a mossy 500.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #44

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Yeah, investment is the key word there. In trying economic times maybe someone wants to unload a used one?

$50 and a shotty??? NICE!!! I never find deals like that...ya bastid!!! Did my Ma. accent come through there?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM   #45

Liked 1133 Times on 737 Posts
Likes Given: 2021

I bought a 28 gun safe thinking it would be more than plenty of safe for my needs , Blah blah blah , realistically what ever it claims it will hold in reality it will hold half . it might hold what they claim but thats stacked on top of each other touching and no scopes on them . if you have a AR it takes up alot of space especially if you leave mags in them like I do . I can get about 6 ARs non touching in one half of a 28 gun safe stacked up agains the back wall so there is easy access to each one and I dont have to remove another gun to get one out . If I stack them on the sidewall and alternate them R/L I would have to remove all of them to get the one in the back out I can get 8-10 on one half of the safe this way . I dont like my guns touching and I like the easy access to each gun without removing all of them . one half of my safe I keep ARs in, the other older guns that were my grandads in the back as I only get them out about once a yr for inspection and I keep my bolt rifles in that side also . I put my ammo in under the ARs but Im going to have to find a new storage for it , Really my safe is too small for my needs and only has 13 guns in it . I say if your going to buy one dont buy anything smaller than a 48 gun safe , this way you can keep everything in it from guns , ammo , jewelry, laptops, precious documents etc . I got mine cheap cheap and its a good safe just not big enough , the one thing I have noticed is the need for used safes and they seem to be going for a premium , I dont think I will loose any money reselling it for a upgrade .

Old 05-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #46
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

14 years ago when my dad died his and my granddads guns came to me. So i went out and bagged up an inexpensive Sentry safe. Its what i could afford at the time and it worked very well for the time i had it.

After seeing 5 houses in this neighborhood burn in this past winter i was beggining to fret about my precious guns (some top quality heirloom type guns) . I knew i needed one that was fire resistant. I also knew i needed one bigger because the one i had simply outgrown.

Here is the one i decided on. TSC has them for a good price AND the features i was looking for (except this only came with digital combination and not manual)

http://www.tractorsupply.com/cannon-ts6040-wide-body-safe-48-gun-capacity-3910204

I WAS going to go for the 24 gun capacity but i figured for the cost increase I would just sell my old safe and make up the difference there. SO glad i did! Now i certainly have room to grow my collection, have room for pictures and important documents etc.

Here is the old one....

Now for a tale for those of you "just getting by" and "Just wanting the bare minimums"

Last Friday i stopped into the local watering hole to meet up with the buds like we do every friday to catch up on the happenings of our lives from the previous week.

My bud came in FUMING!! Heres his tale. He came home from work on Thurs. night to find his house ransacked. Missing was TV's Computer, Laptops, tablets, $1000 in cash and of course his gun collection (about $1500 worth gun collection)

Well back in Feb. when i was shopping for my new safe, i offered to sell him my old one for $400. I used the line about for the money he would be money well ahead should he ever get robbed. He being even more cheap than myself and not being able to see very far into the future told me how his stuff was PERFECTLY safe in an old school locker with a pad lock he used for a gun safe. (the thieves bypassed his "security system" with EASE) So i shrugged my shoulders and put my safe on Craigs list for $500 and got the $500 4 days later.

The moral of the story is this DO NOT GO CHEAP if you have to eat soup and ramen noodles for a month to get a quality safe, DO IT!! You will be money ahead in the long run in security and piece of mind. My buddy learned the hard way. Hes now out $2500 or more considering most prices on the guns he had have gone up so realistically hes gonna have closer to $3000 or more in replacement costs.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Last edited by fmj; 05-07-2012 at 05:04 PM.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 PM   #47
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

That looks pretty good. Didn't see that one when I was at tsc.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:12 PM   #48
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
That looks pretty good. Didn't see that one when I was at tsc.
Might have to have them order it. They didnt have mine out on the floor and when i went to customer service desk to order...they took me out back in the warehouse and there she sat.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 05-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #49
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Good to know.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM   #50

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Check out Costco. They have pretty good prices and you can't beat their satisfaction policy.