Quality Affordable Gun Safe?? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Quality Affordable Gun Safe??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GettingOld
Having recently researched and acquired a safe, I wanted to add some opinion and observation.

First off, I would suggest that you remove "fire proof" & "water proof" from your must have criteria. There is no such thing as a "fire proof" safe. There are varying degrees of fire and heat resistance based upon how thick of a thermal insulator is incorporated into the lining. At best it's a damage delaying factor of 30 minutes to a couple of hours depending on the fire rating. Of course the thicker the heat insulation, the less usable space. Consider realistic levels of protection needs and costs.

Mounting into a wall may be a problem in many homes. Most walls are not deep enough and closet side walls are often filled with plumbing and exhaust vents. It's unusual to have a chunk of available unused wall space so check first.

Electronic locks are convenient and fast but they tend to have a high failure rate. Good for quick access small safes but a larger long term investment safe would probably be better off with a mechanical only spin dial.

Here's some useful reading: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

Also any safe you're going to realistically consider is not a safe like the old westerns with an inch of steel. They are security containers of heavy gauge sheet metal. Even so, large ones can get quite heavy. Consider where you will place it and how you will move it. A knock down safe may be an option: http://www.zanottiarmor.com/safes.htm

Good Luck!
Good write up, thanks for the info!

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

Old 05-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #22

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

I'd go with a fire resistance safe at the least a 25 cubic foot. Other than your guns what other stuff are you going to store in there?
In mine I keep all my blank checks, jewelry, camera, etc etc it will fill up fast.
Pay a little now or a lot latter to recoup what you lost.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:25 PM   #23

Well we have a smaller safe that we use for laptops, cameras, important documents, etc.

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #24

If you are a union member, go to TSC because you get 20% off with your current dues ticket. Just a thought

Old 05-07-2012, 05:07 AM   #25
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8688 Times on 5023 Posts
Likes Given: 11293

A friend of mine recently passed away and his widow asked me to help her get into the safe. It is one of those electronic keypad jobs. I called the company and they sent a tech out the same day ($375.00 for the visit). The tech put his smartphone up against the lock and had the combo changed in literally 5 seconds.

All of my safes are manual dial locks. I will never get an electronic keypad safe (unless my friend's widow gives me his old one)

Old 05-07-2012, 03:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
A friend of mine recently passed away and his widow asked me to help her get into the safe. It is one of those electronic keypad jobs. I called the company and they sent a tech out the same day ($375.00 for the visit). The tech put his smartphone up against the lock and had the combo changed in literally 5 seconds.

All of my safes are manual dial locks. I will never get an electronic keypad safe (unless my friend's widow gives me his old one)
I actually know how to do that =S anyone with a bluetooth capable device and half a mind for technology can do it. You didn't hear that from me though ;-)

Courage is not the lack of fear, but the willingness to continue despite that fear.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM   #27
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Oh no don't. You aren't getting away that easy. Elaborate.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #28

Well its not 100% legal. But all i'm saying is that all those electronic safes and home security systems and whatnot have blue tooth for instances like he mentioned. If you can figure out the device discovery code (usually varies by manufacturer and model) and you can get a command prompt, u can essentially restore it to factory settings (which ends up being a 4 digit password like '1111').

I used to work for a company that installed home security systems =D

Old 05-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #29
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Interesting.
I always try to avoid the electronic safes anyway. I had one back in the day and someone broke into our house. They just smashed the key pad and got into it. Luckily it wasn't a gun safe.
I currently have a key based safe and I'm confident it would take me about 30 seconds to pick it.
If my finances ever improve I intend to buy a very large dial entry safe.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:09 PM   #30

Yeah, that's the kinda i want. Buuuuut those betches are expensive haha