Quality Affordable Gun Safe?? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Quality Affordable Gun Safe??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 199

I'll second the fireproof Cannon idea. TSC is usually fair priced. The stack-ons are Ok but fire proof is worth the hit to the budget.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #12

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

If you have a Dunhams Sports in your area I would check them out. They had a water and fireproof 24 gun Stack-on for $699 +tax last week. They go on and off sale all the time.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #13

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Here is the stack-on in wall cabinets: http://slickguns.com/product/stack-iwc-55-full-length-wall-cabinet-78-free-shipping

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:36 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Two years ago I bought a $700 Stack-On at Dick's for $450. It was on sale and had a $50 rebate. I think it was rated as a 14 gun safe, 1200 degrees for 30 minutes, manual combination with 3 digits code, 400 lbs. I soon filled it up so I looked on Craigslist for a used safe. Found a Big Horn safe for $650, divorce sale, 700 lbs., 5 digit code, 1400 degrees for 75 minutes and lots bigger than the Stack-on. On the internet it sells for $1229 plus shipping. Point being there are good deals on used safes so look around.

Old 04-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossman
Two years ago I bought a $700 Stack-On at Dick's for $450. It was on sale and had a $50 rebate. I think it was rated as a 14 gun safe, 1200 degrees for 30 minutes, manual combination with 3 digits code, 400 lbs. I soon filled it up so I looked on Craigslist for a used safe. Found a Big Horn safe for $650, divorce sale, 700 lbs., 5 digit code, 1400 degrees for 75 minutes and lots bigger than the Stack-on. On the internet it sells for $1229 plus shipping. Point being there are good deals on used safes so look around.
Ya, my issue is that i live in IL. Aside from half the people being afraid to/not allowed to own a firearm, those who do never get rid of their stuff, cuz if theres ever gunna be a SHTF situation, itll happen in IL haha

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

Old 04-28-2012, 04:33 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, living in IL would be a big problem for me. Two good reasons, the gun laws and the weather. In AL last winter the water in the bird bath froze twice, two nights in a row. That's cold enough for me.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #17

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hossman
Yeah, living in IL would be a big problem for me. Two good reasons, the gun laws and the weather. In AL last winter the water in the bird bath froze twice, two nights in a row. That's cold enough for me.
Yep... those 2 things combined with our ****tt Chicago politicians.. if we could get some damn southern IL'ans in office our gun laws would change. AR's have been completely banned in chicago. **** that mess.

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 AM   #18

Liked 241 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Fort Knox safes used to be available from the A.G. English Co. and may still be.

For a cheap alternative, consider putting an old junked refrigerator in your basement. Drill vent holes in back and maybe put a dehumidifier rod in it. Put a chain & lock around it and a burglar will assume it is chained to keep kids from getting trapped inside . You can weigh it down with barbell plates to make it hard to move.

Old 04-29-2012, 03:33 AM   #19

Liked 113 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I once used snug trigger locks. They worked so good after I lost the keys I had to drill them out. Let's see a toddler bypass something like that

Old 04-29-2012, 03:07 PM   #20

Having recently researched and acquired a safe, I wanted to add some opinion and observation.

First off, I would suggest that you remove "fire proof" & "water proof" from your must have criteria. There is no such thing as a "fire proof" safe. There are varying degrees of fire and heat resistance based upon how thick of a thermal insulator is incorporated into the lining. At best it's a damage delaying factor of 30 minutes to a couple of hours depending on the fire rating. Of course the thicker the heat insulation, the less usable space. Consider realistic levels of protection needs and costs.

Mounting into a wall may be a problem in many homes. Most walls are not deep enough and closet side walls are often filled with plumbing and exhaust vents. It's unusual to have a chunk of available unused wall space so check first.

Electronic locks are convenient and fast but they tend to have a high failure rate. Good for quick access small safes but a larger long term investment safe would probably be better off with a mechanical only spin dial.

Here's some useful reading: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunsafes.html

Also any safe you're going to realistically consider is not a safe like the old westerns with an inch of steel. They are security containers of heavy gauge sheet metal. Even so, large ones can get quite heavy. Consider where you will place it and how you will move it. A knock down safe may be an option: http://www.zanottiarmor.com/safes.htm

Good Luck!

Last edited by GettingOld; 04-29-2012 at 03:09 PM.