Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Quality Affordable Gun Safe?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/quality-affordable-gun-safe-63359/)

krisko09 04-27-2012 03:49 AM

Quality Affordable Gun Safe??

I've always kept my firearms locked in individual hard cases.. but with a 14 month old son running around i've quickly decided that I need to invest in a safe. I'm looking for something "economically agreeable" that is a quality product. Any suggestions?

Sent from my DROID Pro using FirearmsTalk

mountainman13 04-27-2012 03:51 AM

Stack on makes decent cheap safes.

krisko09 04-27-2012 03:54 AM

Ive seen a couple of those. I love the price but they look like they'd fall apart.. any experience with them?

sputnik1988 04-27-2012 04:28 AM

Kill two birds with one stone, buy a fireproof one and never worry about safety, fire or theft agian. A shop in my area has a nice Liberty brand safe for $679, I'm sure a similar deal can be found elsewhere.If my memory serves me, the Cannon brands at Tractor Supply are about $500-$550

BodySnatcher 04-27-2012 09:14 AM

2 Attachment(s)
If you can't afford a fireproof safe, you should btw.

You may want to consider Stack-On's In-Wall Safe. (IWC-55) Watch for a sale. @$50 on sale. $65 regular. Amazon has them.

I put in two in a closet.

Attachment 44498

Not fireproof, not theft proof, but the kids won't get in them.

krisko09 04-27-2012 12:07 PM

Yeah, i'd really like one of the fireproof/waterproof/shockproof safes, but i just dont have enough in my budget for that right now. That in-wall is interesting tho..

TheOldMan 04-27-2012 12:30 PM

Basically you took the back off and just used the frame and doors ? Smart idea.. =)

bearrwe 04-27-2012 12:55 PM

I have used the regular Stack On safes. The kids can't get in them and thieves aren't going to spend the time screwing with them as long as they anchored to the floor or wall. They are better than the locked gun cases which can be carried off and when you can afford better you can always sell it.

fmj 04-27-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sputnik1988 (Post 783380)
Kill two birds with one stone, buy a fireproof one and never worry about safety, fire or theft agian. A shop in my area has a nice Liberty brand safe for $679, I'm sure a similar deal can be found elsewhere.If my memory serves me, the Cannon brands at Tractor Supply are about $500-$550

^^^This^^^

Just bought my cannon 48 gun safe from TSC this year. I was just going to get the 24 gun for $599 but decided to go big or stay home...happy with my choice. I then sold my old Sentry safe for $500 to make up the difference.

I would suggest just biting the bullet and getting the Liberty or the Cannon fire proof. It hurts, but after your budget recovers in a couple of months you will be VERY glad you took the blow.

Sentry makes a solid safe for the money. I was VERY satisfied with mine for the years i had it. You can get a decent sized one new in $350-$400 range.

I only upgraded because I watched 5 houses in the neighborhood burn this past winter and i have more than one heirloom gun from my grandfathers and dad. So i finally pulled the trigger on the Fire and flood proof safe i originally wanted but couldnt afford. As hard as it hit my budget, as bad as it hurt to shell out that kinda coin, i am happy I did. Its a one time hurt. I wont ever have to buy another safe again.

(unless i somehow get uber rich and go on a gun buying spree)

mountainman13 04-27-2012 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by krisko09
Ive seen a couple of those. I love the price but they look like they'd fall apart.. any experience with them?

I have one. They aren't fool proof by any means. The aren't fire proof or anything. They will keep kids etc out. If by some chance I lost my key I would imagine I could get into it within minutes.