Prospective first time gun owner - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Prospective first time gun owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #41
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Shotgun ammo is always easy to find and a LOT cheaper than .223.
I would also think that shotguns would be one of the last types of guns to be banned, should the anti's get their way; they are "sporting" guns for hunting, right . I doubt i would catch any flak for having my mossy in my trunk, but my XD might raise some LEO eyebrows.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:31 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
OP :
Shotgun pellets do not spread as much as you might imagine, so you can miss with the entire blast. Inside the house, you'll probably get a pattern no bigger than a softball. A slug is a better stopper, which raises the question of whether an AR-15 is a better choice than a shotgun---assuming you are using only one projectile.

You should let the intruder come to you but there may be a time when you hear a noise and must check it out before calling in the calvalry.

Shotguns have light, short trigger pulls sometimes and some shotguns can fire when dropped. Keep your finger off the trigger and give safety some thought.

You or your wife could choose a 20 guage for less recoil and still have great stopping power ( about as much as two .44 Magnums if you use powerful slug loads ) .

The pump action is popular because it is rugged and reliable. Not all semi-autos are.

Double-barrels work fine but are out of style because everyone wants at least 18 rounds at his disposal these days ( LOL).
?
Thanks for the advice! I will think hard about a 20 vs. a 12 gauge and try out both before deciding. I will kkep a close watch on my trigger finger, too!

Quote:
If you have not owned a gun up until now, I have to wonder if the media brainwashed you but good. Haven't you regretted missing out on the shooting sports ?
What the heck is that supposed to mean?

I don't feel brainwashed, but that's exactly what a brainwashed person would say, right?

Hmmmmm...how do I know you are not trying to brainwash me right now?

Regards, Canis

Last edited by caniswalensis; 08-13-2009 at 10:03 PM.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #43

Ive held a 20ga slug and a 12ga slug side by side..and wow. There is a big difference. I like 12ga's more than 20ga because in my area theres more of a variety.

S.S.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:00 AM   #44

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I agree with your shotgun idea... That is what I have had as a primary HD weapon for many years. I use a plain ole 12ga mossy with a 18" barrel (loaded with #1 buck/16 pellets).

I have no need or plans to go running around in my house if I suspect a bad-guy is afoot. I will protect myself and my Wife from the bedroom. If a bad-guy wants to come through the bedroom door, he will have a very serious problem.

Old 08-14-2009, 01:17 AM   #45

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

cani-
By brainwashed, I meant conditioned by slanted news coverage and television violence to fear owning a gun.
I don't have the ability via a forum to brainwash anybody but movies and T.V. can.
No insult was intended, BTW. I just think it is sad when people miss out on plinking with a .22 rifle or taking their families out to a range because they've been conditioned to believe that guns contain evil spirts and will corrupt their owners. I wondered if you felt you'd missed out the sporting side of this or not...

Old 08-14-2009, 02:37 AM   #46

Quote:
cani-
By brainwashed, I meant conditioned by slanted news coverage and television violence to fear owning a gun.
I don't have the ability via a forum to brainwash anybody but movies and T.V. can.
No insult was intended, BTW. I just think it is sad when people miss out on plinking with a .22 rifle or taking their families out to a range because they've been conditioned to believe that guns contain evil spirts and will corrupt their owners. I wondered if you felt you'd missed out the sporting side of this or not...
Hi Rentacop!

I was not insulted at all, it just struck me as a funny thing to ask is all.

I am pretty sure that the kinda Movies & TV shows I have loved all my live are not anti-gun brainwashing types.

To answer your question, I am not exactly sure what I have missed by not being involved in shooting sports. I am sure that it is tons of fun, but there are so many things to do in our world, and you can't do them all. I chose to do other hobbies because they just appealed to me more.

I was not raised in a gun house, no one disliked guns, but my family just did not do anything with them. I do not feel like guns are evil or scary, and I have never felt any sociatal pressure to stay away from them. In fact, I would say just the opposite.

I have a couple hobbies that I pursue on a regular basis, my favorite being the practice of western martial arts and historical re-enactmant. It is an incredibly rewarding hobby that I have participated in since I was a teenager. I can not imagine what my life would be with out it. Though this hobby,I have met many wonderful friends, the best one being my wife of twenty years. I am fit & confident because of my training and I have also Learned a lot of useful skills from it that do not involve martial arts.

We engage in full speed, nearly full contact sparring with wooden swords & other medieval hand weapons. We wear real & practical armor to keep us safe, as you could easily get your head broken at the level of force that we use. The times I have had are incredible, really.

It is an amazing experience to gaze out of the eye slot of your helmet across a field at a line of armored men with thier equipment glinting in the sun and their war cries ringing in your ears. Then to hear an answering shout rise on the wind from the ranks of your fellows. To look left, the right and see them standing in their armor, like a fortress wall. Then the comes the shout of "LAY ON" from the marshall, and battle is joined. Suddenly, the heavy armor is as nothing and we fly across the field at our enemies. The lines meet with a great crash, and many shouts. And then, comes a sound that is not unlike something thrashing in sallow water, as the weapons rise and fall and wood meets metal, and sometimes flesh. We punch through, reform to our rally cry and turning our line, punch through again. Many fall, and at some point there is an easing of the noise and the press of bodies. It becomes a race to the reach the remaining foemen and dispatch them. When the last have fallen both sides seek out the shade to sit and rest. We mingle together and exchange stories from the battle, and display the fresh bruises with our recent enemies. Of course, sometimes we loose, too.

So, I would have to say that I don't feel like I have missed out on much. I would not have missed the times I have had, or that are still to come, for anything in the world.

Now turnabout is fair play, so I have to ask: Do you feel like you have missed out by not being involved in sword sports?

Regards, Canis

Last edited by caniswalensis; 08-14-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Old 08-14-2009, 03:44 AM   #47

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

caniswalensis-
That's a hard question to answer. I guess I'd have to admit I've missed out on something when it comes to swords and such. I owned a Japanese sword that was captured at Iwo Jima but sold it. The closest thing I have to a sword now is a bayonet for an Enfield.
I know some people who belong to the SCA ( Society For Creative Anachronism ), so I'm familiar with your interests...

Old 08-14-2009, 03:05 PM   #48

Quote:
caniswalensis-
That's a hard question to answer. I guess I'd have to admit I've missed out on something when it comes to swords and such. I owned a Japanese sword that was captured at Iwo Jima but sold it. The closest thing I have to a sword now is a bayonet for an Enfield.
I know some people who belong to the SCA ( Society For Creative Anachronism ), so I'm familiar with your interests...
Well, like I said, we can't do everything. I am sure that we have both missed out on something by not being involved in street luging, but you just have to pick what inspires you and enjoy it, right.

I will say that I am excited about becoming a gun owner and looking forward to practicing & developing a new skill. Even though i am getting the gun primarily for home defense, I am sure that it will be fun to go to the range with it.

Regards, Canis

Old 08-14-2009, 05:13 PM   #49

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Hitting the range is always fun. Shotgun ammo is relatively inexpensive too, so you can shoot quite a bit. Another difference between shotguns and other conventional firearms is the way they are used in competition. Try skeet shooting, trap, or even sporting clays to become farmiliar with your weapon, its a LOT of fun, and a good way to make even more friends. But get a longer barrel than the one you would use for home defense, say a 28" instead of 18.5."

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:25 AM   #50

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Another safety feature you might consider is an alarm system. Not only am I armed with my .45 on the nightstand but also a 12 guage autoloader in the corner by the bed. Before I retire for the evening I collect my little pooch and retire to the bedroom and turn the alarm on by remote. This system is loud enough to awaken the dead. Each room is protected by glass breaks, the doors have sensors as well as motion detectors are in three areas.
Living alone, the alarm gives me more comfort and i can go to sleep and sleep soundly.
The only time it has ever sounded was a few years back when a field rat chewed through the floor under the kitchen sink by the cold water pipe. I exited the door with a 9mm in hand. My next acquisition was a cat---no more rodents--not even a chipmunk.
A handgun is much easier to handle in the hallway.