Prospective first time gun owner - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Prospective first time gun owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2009, 08:35 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
My ole mossberg pump 12 is beside my bed, like a cold metallic teddy bear. I have been very happy with it. I did change out the hunting barrel to a 18.5" one for the HD role; that makes it a bit easier to get through a door. I also switched out the stock to one with a pistol grip added to a semi-normal shaped stock to get a bit better control & the ability to shorten the overall length by not shouldering the butt of the gun. There is something hard to quantify about a pump shotgun; it reminds me of a revolver; they function so simply that it is somewhat assuring.

One thing, if you do end up with a shotty, buy a box of the cheapo (like $30/100 shells) target loads & shoot a box (25) every month to keep yourself used to the BANG.
Thanks Orangello!

If I go with the shotgun, the #1canidate is the Mossberg 500. I do want the 18.5" barrel, and some kind of shortened stock.

I like the cheapo ammo idea too! That seems very affordable. What makes it cheap, thugh? I assume some corners are being cut somewhere. Is it less dependable? Hard on the gun?

Thanks, Canis

Old 08-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniswalensis View Post
Thanks Orangello!

If I go with the shotgun, the #1canidate is the Mossberg 500. I do want the 18.5" barrel, and some kind of shortened stock.

I like the cheapo ammo idea too! That seems very affordable. What makes it cheap, thugh? I assume some corners are being cut somewhere. Is it less dependable? Hard on the gun?

Thanks, Canis
My maverick 88 came with a 28" barrel, but bought an 18.5" for the same reason. There are adjustable stocks.

As for ammo, its cheap because the load isnt very big. Its just target loads, compared to the size of a slug of 00 buckshot.

S.S.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun Shooter View Post
My maverick 88 came with a 28" barrel, but bought an 18.5" for the same reason. There are adjustable stocks.

As for ammo, its cheap because the load isnt very big. Its just target loads, compared to the size of a slug of 00 buckshot.

S.S.
Oh, I get it now!

Thanks, Canis

Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 PM   #24

Yep. And since you're just starting out, stay away from any 3" shells. They are a little more expensive and will kick you a little harder.

S.S.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

What i meant about the target loads was that you could shoot a box pretty regularly & not be spending much. I think (not sure) Wallyworld had some brand name 100 pack of target loads (lots of small BBs) for under $30 last time i looked. I usually keep target loads on the side saddle & buckshot in the tube, but that is a personal preference thing.

My Mossy costs were as follows: ugly, used Mossy w/28" barrel at pawn shop $100, 18.5" barrel $80ish (don't order that "breacher" barrel for $140), & new furniture $45-50ish. I added a lil "sidesaddle" thingy to hold 6 shells on the closed side of the receiver, maybe $20 or so. It's inexpensive & i wouldn't be shy about bashing through a window or forehead with it. I still have the 28" barrel in case i want to go hunting with it.

My stock w/pistol grip looks like this, but doesn't have the shell-holding function or the added cost: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/32564-1.html

crappy cel pic I got rid of the sling.

Last edited by orangello; 08-11-2009 at 10:54 PM.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #26

The Walmart ammo he speaks of comes in Federal or Winchester 8 shot. Here its around $23 out the door for it, other palces may vary. They are good rounds for shooting some targets and practicing with your gun.

I have a federal 100rd pack, which is 4 seperate 25rd boxes.

S.S.

Old 08-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #27

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniswalensis View Post
And....

To all that have taken time to give me your best advice here, I thank you from the heart. I do not have time to answer all of you personally, but I have read every word that was written here carefully and your help is very much appreciated. I will be counting on your continuing good will and advice as I progress towards my goal of being a 2nd ammendment participant.

Sincerely, Canis
Mad respect for that statement, canis.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #28

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

First, and foremost, make sure you know all the gun safety rules.

NRA Gun Safety Rules

I'd check about instruction at your local gunshops and ranges. Someone should have appropriate basic classes by an NRA certified instructor. I don't own a shotgun, but I have written several beginning gun owner articles here:

Beginner Tips - The Gun Dude

If you get a conventional shotgun, I'd see about going skeet or trap shooting somewhere. You may even find skeet ranges that will rent shotguns. Otherwise, you'll need to find an outdoor range that will let you shoot a shotgun at hanging paper targets or propped up clay pigeons. Embrace the fun part of shooting and get thoroughly familiar with your firearm.

When it comes to defensive shotgun use, there are DVDs by Clint Smith and the Thunderranch folks that cover the topic.

You'll want to store your new firearm where unauthorized users cannot get it and where you can get at it fast. I personally do not store a loaded firearm in my house. I have the gun and ammunition readily available and I have a alarm, dog, and charley bar to impede intruders while I retrieve my firearm and loaded magazines.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 08-12-2009, 04:22 PM   #29

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Canis - Did you get the answers you were looking for? I am bumping this up, just in case you did not....

JD

Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Mad respect for that statement, canis.
Thanks pal!