Proper Sight Picture And Target Mistakes! - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

Proper Sight Picture And Target Mistakes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2008, 09:01 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

chopkick-
It is good to hear you are carrying your guns to your posts. If you take security seriously, you realize that trouble can break out any time including when we call a " time-out" for shift change .
Recently, some of the bozos from the Department of Homeland Security have been ordering the guards not to shoot the center out of the ICE target because they will not be able to see all individual bullet holes . If you shoot too tight a group, you risk being flunked on the excuse that your target cannot be scored . Obviously, this is intended to reserve the top scores for FPS .
These Federal Police Officers who harass the guards are beneath contempt . They've never forgiven the contract guards for " taking their jobs " .
I know of a guy who shot a 250 on the ICE course but was given a lower score without explanation .
Rentacop

Old 01-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJS Instructor View Post

Letís get one more thing straight I donít play expert. I work full time as a firearms instructor. Teaching for MVM OCONUS Ops. Blackwater USA. And I am the Training Director for Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy.

Tom Perroni
Ok, I think the initial post is one of the best training tools for beginner shooters to use AS A GUIDELINE. Just something i noticed scanning through this thread; you mentioned teaching at Blackwater? I have been to the advanced shooters training and advanced driver training at Blackwater, both were excellent schools and I came out of both with marked improvement on my marksmanship with my issued M4 and M9. I'm pretty sure I remember them teaching basically the same in the first couple of days when they were going over the FUNDAMENTALS, which ANY good school would teach at the beginning of ANY class.
I am a Modern Army Combative Instructor. I don't teach guns, I shoot them, so when I go to ANY school, I approach it as a beginner, no matter how skilled I am with any given firearm. The only way to learn is to allow your instructor to teach. G21.45 is trying to teach a basic fundamental to shooting to BEGINNERS.
If you were in my Combative class and began arguing fine points while I was trying to teach, you would be asked to leave. I can't teach a know-it-all, and no instructor wants to.

Gun control means using BOTH hands.

Guns don't kill people, Strained Peas do...

Old 03-25-2009, 03:42 AM   #33
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
I'd like to see one posted depicting the sight picture of a target/sight with a military rifle having the protective sight "ears" on either side of the front post.
A friend of mine could have used a diagram like that about ten years ago...when in his haste and nervousness while on a boar hunt, he mistook the right sight ear for the front post and gave the hog a snout full of dirt! His son quickly dispatched the now pissed-off hog with one shot from a 12 ga. Marlin Slugmaster loaded with Remington Copper Solids. The gun my friend was using was a .303 Enfield and the sight ears were almost the same height as the post...
Did anyone at the time inform your friend of the correct post to us. Sorry but common sense tells you to use the one in the middle. Just my 2 cents.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:45 AM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Earlier on, a request was made for a pic of winged (protected) military sights. These are on an AR-15 whose iron sights are co-witnessed with an EO Tech, with the EOT turned off.

Proper Sight Picture And Target Mistakes! - Training & Safety
That is the same sight picture on damn near all military rifles of US or British origin.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCJS Instructor View Post

The pictures you post do not represent proper sight picture. In order to get accurate hits on target the shoot must use the TOP edge of the front sight and line it up exactly with the target. In the pictures that were posted the shooter would be shooting low.
How would he be shooting low if the Top Edge of the Front Sight was aligned perfectly with the rear sight, and directly in the center of the bulls Eye?

Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 PM   #36
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3456 Times on 1780 Posts
Likes Given: 374

To me it appears the top edge of the front sight post is below the center line of the rear peep sight. Unless this is how it was zeroed, it would indeed shoot low. To me the "wings" should almost touch the peep at the 10 and 2 o'clock positions and the post should sit in the center of the peep. The sight picture is hard to replicate in a photo.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeprechaunGunLover View Post
Ok, I think the initial post is one of the best training tools for beginner shooters to use AS A GUIDELINE. Just something i noticed scanning through this thread; you mentioned teaching at Blackwater? I have been to the advanced shooters training and advanced driver training at Blackwater, both were excellent schools and I came out of both with marked improvement on my marksmanship with my issued M4 and M9. I'm pretty sure I remember them teaching basically the same in the first couple of days when they were going over the FUNDAMENTALS, which ANY good school would teach at the beginning of ANY class.

I am a Modern Army Combative Instructor. I don't teach guns, I shoot them, so when I go to ANY school, I approach it as a beginner, no matter how skilled I am with any given firearm. The only way to learn is to allow your instructor to teach. G21.45 is trying to teach a basic fundamental to shooting to BEGINNERS.

If you were in my Combative class and began arguing fine points while I was trying to teach, you would be asked to leave. I can't teach a know-it-all, and no instructor wants to.
Thank you!

Yes, for the sake of tranquility as well as my memory of DCJS over at Glock Talk - where there were other confrontational disagreements with this particular poster - I did drop out of the thread.

Came back to it, today, while doing a little research on a similar topic and discovered the additional comments and replies. There were a variety of different reasons why I dropped off this site for almost an entire year; this stupid argument is one of them.

I'm, kind 'a, laughing to myself, though, because a, 'Leprechaun' has stated my position and feelings better (and more succinctly) than I was able to do. Again, thank you!

Old 10-02-2010, 10:18 PM   #38

Default Mistakes

I was surprised experts could list three main causes of misses. I would have put "adrenaline shake" and "failure to control breathing" and "reluctance to pull the trigger" up there but those reasons don't even rate. What do I know?
I came to this forum reading about sight picture. One thing that is not mentioned: is the sight picture the gun is set up for the same sight picture the shooter is looking for? Really, any old sight picture will do from the bench. From there, things get specialized. At least, that's what I'm learning.

Last edited by edshaw; 10-02-2010 at 10:20 PM.